Nava v1.0 BOM [5/18/16 IMPORTANT BOM UPDATE]

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • is the PDF available to download on 1st page up to date with the parts, because its easier for me to shop the parts divided like that since i'm new to DIY and the parts there are divided nicely by type.. ?
  • About resistor tolerances: the Nava contains 5 instances of a 6-bit binary weighted resistor network (for 5 DAC circuits). These have values 5K, 10K, 20K, 40K, 80K, 160K. This is the reason the build guide tells you to pick 5 "good" 10K resistors.

I bought all my resistors from a local supplier (Conrad) which saved me some money. I just used 1% 0.25W metal film resistors. I only bought "special" 0.1% resistors for the values 5K, 10K, 20K, 40K, 80K (five each). It seems 160K 0.1% is rare, and anyway it is the least significant bit of the DAC, so I guess it is OK to have a slightly worse tolerance on the 160K resistor in the DACs.

Someone who knows more about electronics than me should confirm this but I think it is OK to use lower power ratings for the resistors in the DACs because little or no current is supposed to go through them. I believe the BOM has 0.1W resistors for some of these, that is probably why that low power rating is OK. There is nothing wrong with getting a higher power rating but it will make the resistors bigger and possibly a little more expensive. The size can become a problem. It seems that 0.5W 0.1% resistors fit in the space for the resistor networks (this is what I bought for my Nava) but they then don't sit perfectly flush against the board.
  • About the 0.1uF film capacitors: it looks like they are duplicated on the BOM because there is:
    • 80-R82DC3100AA50J 7x .1uF 63V
    • 80-R82EC3100AA70J 7x .1uF 100V
    But in fact you need 8x 1.uF film capacitors.
    • noise C48
    • bassdrum C13
    • snaredrum C83
    • low tom C16
    • mid tom C30
    • hi tom C95
    • handclap C59, C61
    So the way to fix this is to pick one voltage rating (63V is probably OK?) and update the number to 8 items.
  • jvq,

C48 is a ceramic capacitor so the total of film capacitor is 7pcs
    BOM updated. R82EC3100AA70J reference deleted

Thank you for your help

Best regards,
    e-licktronic
    Best regards,
    e-licktronic
  • The BOM has 41 1.2K Ohm resisters, but the project appears to call for 42. 1 on the IO Board and 41 on the sequencer LEDs.
  • JoeM wrote:The BOM has 41 1.2K Ohm resisters, but the project appears to call for 42. 1 on the IO Board and 41 on the sequencer LEDs.
    You don't need the 1.2k for R964:

http://e-licktronic.com/forum/viewtopic ... r694#p7322

Nevertheless I would always buy a few more components than necessary in case one is missing or needs to be replaced for whatever reason. There is nothing more annoying than having to place an order for one single resistor, capacitor, diode... I'd also recommend to get resistors, diodes, capacitors and even some ICs from Tayda Electronics. You can save a good amount of money and those parts are from good quality, too. Unfortunately their 15% voucher "MARIO" expired last Sunday. But they have discounts every once in a while... Peeps on Muffwiggler often post those coupon codes.
  • Incompatible crimp terminals for 'master' cable.

With the current BOM, the 'master' section cable uses:

- 1x Molex 22-01-3067 housing
    - 1x Molex 22-27-2061 socket
    - 6x Molex 46999-0101 terminals ('7879 series')

However, these terminals do not fit in the housing! They are too big.

Either we need to replace the terminals (I am buying myself 6x Molex 08-50-0114), or we replace the housing/socket so that they work with 7879-series terminals.
  • e-licktronic wrote: C48 is a ceramic capacitor
    Thanks! Looking at the TR-909 service manual I see it too now. But in the build guide it says C48 is a film capacitor: http://www.e-licktronic.com/en/content/ ... lone-noise

I don't know if it matters much; if so maybe the build guide needs to be updated?
  • jvq wrote:Incompatible crimp terminals for 'master' cable.

With the current BOM, the 'master' section cable uses:

- 1x Molex 22-01-3067 housing
    - 1x Molex 22-27-2061 socket
    - 6x Molex 46999-0101 terminals ('7879 series')

However, these terminals do not fit in the housing! They are too big.

Either we need to replace the terminals (I am buying myself 6x Molex 08-50-0114), or we replace the housing/socket so that they work with 7879-series terminals.
    Housing 6 pin connector replace by the right Molex one.
    jvq wrote:
    e-licktronic wrote: C48 is a ceramic capacitor
    Thanks! Looking at the TR-909 service manual I see it too now. But in the build guide it says C48 is a film capacitor: http://www.e-licktronic.com/en/content/ ... lone-noise

I don't know if it matters much; if so maybe the build guide needs to be updated?
    C48 is use as Power bypass capacitor so it doesn't matter that much (on the sound of the noise) if it is ceramic or film capacitor

Best regards,
    e-licktronic
    Best regards,
    e-licktronic