Oortone 2024 alternative firmware for Nava

Discuss use it and firmware update
  • Oortone wrote: Jan 19th, '24, 10:56 Pattern chains - pattern groups (in Pattern Play mode)
    Unless I’ve missed some very valuable use of stored pattern chains it will not be re-implemented in this firmware since it really makes a lot of stuff very complicated. However the old code structures are kept inactivated in the code if some one some day really wants to implement storable pattern chains. :geek:
    I didn't even know of this feature, so I won't for sure be missing it.
    I see your point and understand it: loading a pattern should not load a chain. You can manually create the chain if you need it.

F.
  • Regarding Play Modes; in general I though that if you stop in Track Mode you probably want to start on a bar and not exactly where you stopped. Since we don't handle Song Position Pointer (no plan to implement, seems very complicated with variable step length), it will probably be good slaved to another sequencer.
    In Pattern Mode I guess we want to Continue from where we are if we don't press clear.

Pressing Clear when already playing, we could return to beginning of bar immediately in Pattern mode, in Track mode with above philosophy we return to beginning bar aligned, like a reprise.

(STOP in my post above is a bit redundant, it's what happens next that's important)

Regarding Start/Continue and pattern chains. Yes I thought that it would be great to be able to decide if we want to start from beginning of chain or current pattern, to take advantage of the difference between Start and Continue.

Yes Stop/Start is the current basic prebeta behavior.
  • Thank you Oortone.
    I will be happy to test your new firmware version. Would you mind also updating (or creating) the manual for it, when released?
    Thanks,
    F.
  • Now the proper beta called 0tone_0.90b has been released. Link to download at Github and information is in the first post of this thread. :)
  • Oortone wrote: Feb 1st, '24, 17:17 Now the proper beta called 0tone_0.90b has been released. Link to download at Github and information is in the first post of this thread. :)
    Damn! Now I'm forced to test it! Hah!
    Next week I should have plenty of spare time, I'll give it a shot. Should I specifically test something?
  • No not really. But if you find something strange not mentioned please post info on how to reproduce it.
  • Here are the note numbers for expander mode. I tried to follow the General MIDI Drum Kit Map fond here:
    https://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_gm.htm

36 BD Bass Drum 1
    37 RM Side stick
    39 HC Hand clap
    40 SD Electric snare
    42 CH Closed hihat
    45 LT Low tom
    46 OH Open high hat
    47 MT Low mid tom
    48 HT High mid tom
    49 CR Crash
    51 RD Ride
  • Note numbers for midi pattern change mode are the same as in the 2021 Neuromancer firmware:

Pattern change in Slave Mode:
    Bank A-H: note 61-68 (C#4-G#4)
    Pattern 1-16: note 72-87 (C5-D#6)

I was thinking, would it make more sense to change Patterns to 71-86? So both banks and patterns start from a C#? Starting from 71 (like 61 for bak) also kind of makes sense?
  • Oortone wrote: Feb 4th, '24, 22:47 Note numbers for midi pattern change mode are the same as in the 2021 Neuromancer firmware:

Pattern change in Slave Mode:
    Bank A-H: note 61-68 (C#4-G#4)
    Pattern 1-16: note 72-87 (C5-D#6)

I was thinking, would it make more sense to change Patterns to 71-86? So both banks and patterns start from a C#? Starting from 71 (like 61 for bak) also kind of makes sense?
    I never used bank or pattern change via MIDI, but I see your point and I like it: starting both from x1 (61/71) is far easier to remember and understand.
    Please do this change.
    Thanks,
    F.