Nava2021 (post v1.028beta)

Discuss use it and firmware update
  • Neuromancer wrote: IMO I should be able to create a pattern group of any size up to 16 patterns and edit that group in step mode as it is one single large pattern.
    So for my understanding: you'd like to group some patterns, which, I believe, have to be sequential (like A1-2-3-4), and then you'd like to enter step mode and be able to actually change let's say the SD active steps in a way that you can go through all of the grouped patterns? Like if the patterns are 16 steps long, you'd like to be able to just go to step 38 (which would be step 6 of pattern A3) and punch in an SD?
    Or am I mixing up pattern group with pattern sequence?
    F.
  • FlavioB wrote:
    Neuromancer wrote: IMO I should be able to create a pattern group of any size up to 16 patterns and edit that group in step mode as it is one single large pattern.
    So for my understanding: you'd like to group some patterns, which, I believe, have to be sequential (like A1-2-3-4), and then you'd like to enter step mode and be able to actually change let's say the SD active steps in a way that you can go through all of the grouped patterns? Like if the patterns are 16 steps long, you'd like to be able to just go to step 38 (which would be step 6 of pattern A3) and punch in an SD?
    Or am I mixing up pattern group with pattern sequence?
    F.
    As I understand pattern groups to be working you can "chain" any sequential group of patterns.
    Current situation is:
    Step mode with running sequencer, at the moment the switching to another pattern in the group happens all unsaved changes are lost.
    I'd like to be able to see that pattern group as a single longer pattern, with no lost changes at a pattern switch.
    Then when saving the pattern you would save all patterns in that group.

I noticed people asking for longer patterns (32.64...etc) and using pattern groups is the only way for that to happen.
  • Neuromancer wrote: As I understand pattern groups to be working you can "chain" any sequential group of patterns.
    Yes, that's what I also was trying to describe: A1-2-3-4 could be B6-7-8-9-10-11 - it doesn't matter how many patterns you chain, but you cannot group patterns as such. Grouping would be like A3+A6+A7 - and afair there is only the chaining feature implemented (which is the only one making sense, IMO).
    Current situation is:
    Step mode with running sequencer, at the moment the switching to another pattern in the group happens all unsaved changes are lost.
    Yes, that's how it's intended to be - or at least, how the software is working (I'm not discussing pros&cons of this).
    I'd like to be able to see that pattern group as a single longer pattern, with no lost changes at a pattern switch.
    Then when saving the pattern you would save all patterns in that group.

I noticed people asking for longer patterns (32.64...etc) and using pattern groups is the only way for that to happen.
    I understand what you mean and I can relate somehow to it. But IMO it'd be better to implement longer patterns, instead of having people deal with this workaround to get where they want to. I mean: if I'd like to use 64-step patterns and I would have to chain four 16-step patterns, that would be awkward and it would mean losing patterns in a bank. You'd be sort of ending up with only 4 patterns (4 chained 16-step patterns), instead of eventually being able to set the pattern length to 64 steps and have 16 patterns à 64-steps at your fingertips within the same bank.
    What do you think?

F.
  • FlavioB wrote: I understand what you mean and I can relate somehow to it. But IMO it'd be better to implement longer patterns, instead of having people deal with this workaround to get where they want to. I mean: if I'd like to use 64-step patterns and I would have to chain four 16-step patterns, that would be awkward and it would mean losing patterns in a bank. You'd be sort of ending up with only 4 patterns (4 chained 16-step patterns), instead of eventually being able to set the pattern length to 64 steps and have 16 patterns à 64-steps at your fingertips within the same bank.
    What do you think?

F.
    The available memory in the eeprom is a big problem. There is not enough memory to do it the way you describe it.

N.
  • Neuromancer wrote: The available memory in the eeprom is a big problem. There is not enough memory to do it the way you describe it.

N.
    This is what I was presuming, but had no idea of... thanks for confirming the memory part.
    Well, let's see if anybody else is interested in this feature and then you can direct your efforts into it or into other parts :-) I think it's important not to waste time in coding stuff which not many people would be interested or would benefit from.
    Maybe we should put up some sort of poll, once the bug fix list and the new feature list have been defined, to vote for the parts we'd like to have implemented. This is at least how we did for another firmware-rewriting project across 2020-2021.
    F.
  • FlavioB wrote: This is what I was presuming, but had no idea of... thanks for confirming the memory part.
    Well, let's see if anybody else is interested in this feature and then you can direct your efforts into it or into other parts :-) I think it's important not to waste time in coding stuff which not many people would be interested or would benefit from.
    My #1 item at the moment is implementing system exclusive dumps.
    Current state: able to send a dump from the nava but no code for receiving that data as I still need to write it.
    FlavioB wrote: Maybe we should put up some sort of poll, once the bug fix list and the new feature list have been defined, to vote for the parts we'd like to have implemented. This is at least how we did for another firmware-rewriting project across 2020-2021.
    F.
    Now there's a good idea, go ahead and create a poll !

N.
  • i tried to flash the initial unofficial fw but it did not work properly. for example i was not able to enter settings menu. starting the sequencer was also not possible. after flashing latest official again everything is working as it should...
  • Thanks for your feedback.
    Neuromancer will for sure look into this.
    F.
  • Noted...currently working on the SysEx.
    In order to test it I created a windows program which in the week I have been working on it has become some kind of Nava editor.....
    I only needed a way to see if the data was correct but hey...why not extend it a little bit to make it more usefull.

It also showed me mistakes I've made with reading the eeprom.

Note, in my current development version I've dropped the original supplied midi library and replaced it with the normal arduino one.