firmware update problem 1.017 -> 1.0xx

Discuss use it and firmware update
  • Reggiechacha,
    Reggiechacha wrote:I've tried to burn the boot loader into a new chip but couldn't get it to work. I tried all of the possible changes and fixes mentioned in this thread but nothing worked.
    In the end I uploaded the Yocto boot loader via Arduino as per instructions on the Yocto software thread. This worked and have now been able to upload the latest firmware.

This week, I got new chip and installed nava 1.020 and boot loader via ICSP. its success.woking fine.
    its curious case of yours :?
  • For some reason, despite changing the com port the cmd would not find a pathway.

However I need to revisit this. My encoder is not working with v.020 so I need to try and reinstall. Works fine with v.018
  • hi all,

i'm having trouble with my Nava build (viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1093&start=20). I'm getting voltages all correct but I suspect something up with Atmega at this point.

I've tried flashing using the steps outlined earlier in this thread; every avrdude command line results in this:

Code: Select all

C:\tools>C:\tools\bin\avrdude.exe -c avrisp -p m1284p -P COM3 -b  19200 -u -e -U lock:w:0x3F:m -v

avrdude.exe: Version 6.1, compiled on Mar 13 2014 at 00:09:49
                 Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
                 Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\tools\bin\avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM3
                 Using Programmer              : avrisp
                 Overriding Baud Rate          : 19200
                 AVR Part                      : ATmega1284P
                 Chip Erase delay              : 55000 us
                 PAGEL                         : PD7
                 BS2                           : PA0
                 RESET disposition             : dedicated
                 RETRY pulse                   : SCK
                 serial program mode           : yes
                 parallel program mode         : yes
                 Timeout                       : 200
                 StabDelay                     : 100
                 CmdexeDelay                   : 25
                 SyncLoops                     : 32
                 ByteDelay                     : 0
                 PollIndex                     : 3
                 PollValue                     : 0x53
                 Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
                   Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
                   ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
                   eeprom        65    10   128    0 no       4096    8      0  9000  9000 0xff 0xff
                   flash         65    10   256    0 yes    131072  256    512  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
                   lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
                   lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
                   hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
                   efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
                   signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
                   calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : STK500
                 Description     : Atmel AVR ISP
                 Hardware Version: 2
                 Firmware Version: 1.18
                 Topcard         : Unknown
                 Vtarget         : 0.0 V
                 Varef           : 0.0 V
                 Oscillator      : Off
                 SCK period      : 0.1 us

avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.05s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x000000 (retrying)

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x000000 (retrying)

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x000000
    avrdude.exe: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
                 Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
                 this check.

avrdude.exe done.  Thank you.
    Is my chip at fault here? I've tried with both Arduino Uno directly (ensured pins matched) and also tried using Nava's own power source to no avail.

Any help appreciated!
  • Okay so I am having issues understanding how to reflash my ATMEGA128 chip that came with 1.024 NAVA OS with the latest update.

I have an arduino UNO, as well as an AVR ISP MKII.

Is it as simple as popping out the atmega chip on the uno, and swapping it with the NAVA atmega, connecting the AVR to the arduino board, and then uploading the appropriate software to the chip via an arduino sketch?

a little confused by all of this.
  • I am really eager for a fix for this as well.

One of my two Nava's updated successfully but the other would not after dozens of attempts of all different settings and software.

I have an Arduino Uno R3 which I believe can be used as an I(C)SP.

I attempted to follow online directions to use Arduino Uno to burn a new bootloader to the Nava ATMEGA chip on a breadboard,

but I couldn't get it to work.

I could access the chip but couldn't successfully write anything to it,

how to set the fuse bits and accomplish this is not very clear.
  • mkho wrote:Okay so I am having issues understanding how to reflash my ATMEGA128 chip that came with 1.024 NAVA OS with the latest update.

I have an arduino UNO, as well as an AVR ISP MKII.

Is it as simple as popping out the atmega chip on the uno, and swapping it with the NAVA atmega, connecting the AVR to the arduino board, and then uploading the appropriate software to the chip via an arduino sketch?

a little confused by all of this.
    The NAVA has an ICSP header next to the 1284p chip. You should connect your avrispmkII to this header but something to note; MISO and MOSI pins are swapped so ensure you flip these. Also, the avrispmkII does NOT provide 5v power to the NAVA so you'll need to still power the device for programming.

Code: Select all

avrdude -c avrispmkII -p m1284p -P usb -b 19200 -u -e -U lock:w:0x3F:m -v
    avrdude -c avrispmkII -p m1284p -P usb -b 19200 -u -U efuse:w:0xFD:m -v 
    avrdude -c avrispmkII -p m1284p -P usb -b 19200 -u -U hfuse:w:0xDC:m -v 
    avrdude -c avrispmkII -p m1284p -P usb -b 19200 -u -U lfuse:w:0xD6:m -v 
    avrdude -c avrispmkII -p m1284p -P usb -b 19200 -U flash:w:Nava_v1_028beta.hex:i -v 
    avrdude -c avrispmkII -p m1284p -P usb -b 19200 -U flash:w:BootNava.hex:i -v -D
    avrdude -c avrispmkII -p m1284p -P usb -b 19200 -U lock:w:0x0F:m -v