No bootloader/ All LEDs on

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • I was reading a fellow users thread and decided to get myself an arduino to attempt to burn the chip. Unfortunately, in my case unlike theirs, I am only getting all LEDs on. Doesn't seem to have any other "boot states." I have noticed though, that if I press buttons (usually start and stop) that some LEDs will turn off on the board. Not really sure if there is anything to that?

Secondly, I mentioned that on the Mux_sh board I was only getting about 13v or so on the IC114 board. Must've been a broken or failing connection. I resoldered the jumper wires and it's reading 15v on both pins.

Also noticed a broken connection on PIN 1 of J14. Definitely not relevant to my current issue, but I suppose it could have caused one previous to this disaster. The wires there seem very fragile so I applied some E6000 to them after resoldering.

Until I attempt the burn on Monday, I am completely at a loss as to what the problem could be. Is it the 1284p, is it one of the other ICs? I am definitely getting power to all of them, but that's pretty much the extent of knowledge when it comes to troubleshooting ICs.

If anybody would be kind enough to share any knowledge or suggestions, I would be super grateful! :D
  • So I was able to get myself an Arduino to burn the ATMEGA via ICSP. After some frustration getting avrdude to work, the chip completed the upload without a hitch. Unfortunately it didn't seem to have an effect...
    Since then I have really been trying to find any sort of cause for this issue and have also ordered some parts from mouser, including the MCP, EEPROM, and another ATMEGA just in case. As far as I can tell, most of the chips seem fine.

One other thing that I noticed is that if I plug in the master output, or more specifically the crash output. When I turn on the machine the crash sample plays, as well as some other weirdness from the other oscillators or the noise. For example, a sine wave plays from the kick channel that I can tune.
    To me that is a good sign. The whole thing isn't broken at least!

ICs are coming in tomorrow afternoon, so I'll tune in with my troubleshooting notes since I am talking to myself here haha
  • I have the same issue, that all LEDs are permanently on. Otherwise the device is working quite well. Did you find out how to solve the LED issue?
  • Not sure if you guys got this fixed.

I've had similar issues with a couple of builds.

If the display shows the top line square boxes it means the display hasn't been initialised properly. This points to either the display itself or the atmega.

I found On one I didn't have a proper ground to the display. Check the board layout diagrams and ensure all the continuity to atmega and I think there are 2 ground pins. I fixed with a wire between the two ground pins.

The other, I think I shorted something while fixing/probing in the snare. This turned out to be a corrupt bootloader on the atmega. Do a complete erase via the programmer, set the fuses, flash the firmware and the bootloader. If this is successful you should be able to enter bootloader and clear the eeprom.

Similarly, all led or random led on says the atmega hasn't init'ed the shift registers.