BOM question on resistors specs

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • Hi!

I can't weigh in on what the schematic and design demands but I went with 1/4W all the way around. I've built everything but the Ride/Crash and it seems to be holding up just fine. I think it's a stock-related decision but if you want to be 100% sure, check what the original TR-909 service manual and parts list shows. that would tell you if 1/2W is necessary by design.
  • You're probably very much more interested in size than wattage. For more "fidelity" choose carbon resistors, but of course metal ones work fine too.
  • gihaume wrote:You're probably very much more interested in size than wattage. For more "fidelity" choose carbon resistors, but of course metal ones work fine too.
    He's specifically asking about wattage.

If you look at the BOM these parts relate to the 5K/20K/40K/80K/160K values needed for the HH/Ride/Crash. It looks like that decision in the BOM is based on the accuracy of the resistor. Those more expensive 1/2W resistors have a .1% variant so no, in this instance you may not be looking for color. You're looking for more accurate resistor values to create the array. I note that some show 1/6W and 1/10W so higher wattage isn't necessarily what's driving the BOM item.

These are all available in 1/4W so it's just matter of adjusting the BOM or choosing another source. I note that the PCB is snug in these sections so an array of 1/2W resistors would be pretty tight. You may have to stuff them vertically.

As I mentioned though, I stuck with 1/4W 1% metal film all around. The build sounds fantastic (mine includes the Extra9 mod too).