Greetings from the new official firmware developer

Discuss use it and firmware update
  • rv0 wrote:
    halides wrote:
    rv0 wrote:@Halides

Could you please coordinate with Vincent to create an official github page for the code from viewtopic.php?f=17&t=180&start=10#p2391

and then start from there? That way other developers can file merge requests and such, this would speed up development eventually
    Hi rv0!

I am wondering how many people actually have a functional development environment? It took me 20+ hours to get the toolchain working properly, you need to solder connectors, have a Arduino board or an FTDI, need to edit a bunch of text files to be able to burn the firmware. I just checked and I can just edit stuff in the Arduino 1.0.1 IDE and hit "Upload" and it works, but it wasn't that easy to set it up.

I'll create a repository for the project soon.

.p
    Hi Halides welcome back.

Uhm you really don't need to do all that stuff per se (although it helps develop and deploy faster).
    I just installed the arduino ide (1.0.6 OSX), and the needed libraries, went to prefs and checked "verbose output", that way the path to the tmp folder with compiled hex is shown, that hex should be convertable to syx and you could upload that to the yocto right away, I guess (untested).
    I did lose some time before I realized I needed the old IDE, but other than that it was really quick to set up.

I think I can help translating the French comments to English ;) Other than that I can just suggest and test.
    Hi,

I asked Vincent a few month ago about how to convert the .hex to .syx but didn't get an answer. Setting up the environment so you can get a compile is easy, the upload is the hard part. You also probably need to stab libraries/Wire/Wire.h AND libraries/Wire/utility/twi.h:

//#define BUFFER_LENGTH 32
    #define BUFFER_LENGTH 128

I'm using 1.0.1 IDE as per Vincent's suggestion. I think it should work on a newer one but I rather work on the code than just test around :-)

.p
  • you need to figure out how the sysex data is expected (by looking at the bootloader, not fun but not too hard)
    i have a hex2syx app which outputs sysex data suitible for my bootloader, so you could use that and modify it to output the sysex data in the format expected by the yocto bootloader

but for actual developement the sysex bootloader is terrible
    it's slow, unidirectional.. did i mention "slow" ?
  • antto wrote:you need to figure out how the sysex data is expected (by looking at the bootloader, not fun but not too hard)
    i have a hex2syx app which outputs sysex data suitible for my bootloader, so you could use that and modify it to output the sysex data in the format expected by the yocto bootloader

but for actual developement the sysex bootloader is terrible
    it's slow, unidirectional.. did i mention "slow" ?
    Hi antto,

how slow is "slow" in this case? I WAS really happy when I got the rate up to 115200bps as the upload takes about 13 seconds now. At first I got it to work only with 14400 or something which takes almost two minutes to upload :-p

If you can send me the hex2syx app and instrucions I can give that a spin also and see what happens.

Thanks!
  • MIDI is 31250, that's slow
    and since you can't use the top bit, you're left with 7, but encoding bytes into 7bits is ugly, so i think most of the time you'd split the data into pairs of 4bit nibbles, thus effectively the speed goes down even more

as_hex2syx:
    http://antonsavov.net/cms/projects/x0xb ... x0xb00t2.1
    Get the latest unofficial Yocto V1 firmware here.
    Be sure to check the revised manual.
    Leave your comments in this thread.
  • ... very quiet here indeed :-)

Any news?
    F.
  • Yeah, I am still very keen to have the roll function working while under midi sync. Don't leave us V.1 people out in the cold!!
  • conor wrote:Yeah, I am still very keen to have the roll function working while under midi sync. Don't leave us V.1 people out in the cold!!
    And BTW: what will you V1-guys now do? I'm really considering selling mine to get a V2 as it has many features I'm missing on V1 :-/
    F.
  • Time for my monthly *kick* of this topic :D

Hope all is well @halides!
    Get the latest unofficial Yocto V1 firmware here.
    Be sure to check the revised manual.
    Leave your comments in this thread.