C40, C41 , C42 Bassdrum section... ceramic?

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • If they are ceramics with good temperature stability, say C0G or NPO, no. You can substitute those types and films caps back and forth quite freely. Check out Ian Fritz if you want the words of some authority to back this up. I'd trust him over some "audiophile" who knows squat about electronics :D

However other types of ceramics with worse temp stability are cheaper, or can withstand more, but they should be avoided in the most temperature critical applications such as timing caps for oscillators if you want stable frequencies.
  • I just wonder what they are doing in the mouser BOM and why this has not been corrected?
    Had to order some films. :-/
  • Because there is nothing to correct? There is no functional difference between a 10nF film cap and a 10nF C0G/NPO ceramic cap. Just because it says film in some document doesn't mean it has to be slavishly followed if the substitute is just as good.

The Mouser capacitor tombola is fascinating. ;)
  • Jojjelito wrote:If they are ceramics with good temperature stability, say C0G or NPO, no. You can substitute those types and films caps back and forth quite freely. Check out Ian Fritz if you want the words of some authority to back this up. I'd trust him over some "audiophile" who knows squat about electronics :D

However other types of ceramics with worse temp stability are cheaper, or can withstand more, but they should be avoided in the most temperature critical applications such as timing caps for oscillators if you want stable frequencies.

They are X7R - I hope this is okay, too...

:?: