Audio cable?

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • Hi!
    This is what I know, but I'm not a technician. To connect the audio output of the master section from the mainboard to the IO board, it is advisable to use a bipolar shielded cable. a microphone cable for example or a RCA connection cable, those normally provided with the hi-fi equipment. The braid is connected only to the signal source side, to avoid ground loops. Connect the shield on both sides is counterproductive.
  • Thank you, that helps clarify things. It just seemed odd to me to only have one ground cable connected, but I was looking at it from more of an electrical point of view instead of audio. I appreciate your help.
    Danny
  • I'm interested to know what happens if you dont :?: :idea: in the Yocto and Nava!
  • Hummmmm and noizzzzze mate.. :mrgreen:
  • hofmann25 wrote:I'm interested to know what happens if you dont :?: :idea: in the Yocto and Nava!
    http://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/alphawire ... -Cable.pdf

The long wires act as antennas for whatever stray electric and magnetic fields that happen to be around or inside the box. The grounded shield helps prevent noise and artifacts in the signal.

.p
  • Yeah ok.

Also just noticed as all my gear in my studio flows in and out of a patch bay. When you have all 12 ouputs plugged up you can't use the master and the voice channels at the same time. That is if you patch the BD voice it over patches the master.

Is there a mod to have the master and all voices flow at the same time?
  • The phone jack cuts the connection to master when you plug in to an indiv. out.

Simplest thing to do is actually not push the plug all the way in, just push it in until you start hearing the indiv. out, if you push in more it will cut the connection. Problem is this connection cuts easily as the plug is not held in position. You can jumper the connection of the jack or put a switch if you want to double the sound.

.p
  • hofmann25 wrote:Yeah ok.

Also just noticed as all my gear in my studio flows in and out of a patch bay. When you have all 12 ouputs plugged up you can't use the master and the voice channels at the same time. That is if you patch the BD voice it over patches the master.

Is there a mod to have the master and all voices flow at the same time?
    If you solder a jumper horizontally across the two pads closest to the front edge of the pcb that connect to the individual out jacks you will disable the signal being cut from the master out when you plug in a jack..... I think. I haven't tried it this by it should work
  • I'll have a look at that thanks.

Having it set up for composing and recording without having to patch and unpatch would be ideal. :)