Oortone 2024 alternative firmware for Nava

Discuss use it and firmware update
  • Hi @Oortone - thanks for picking up the firmware topic for the Nava!
    In the next days I'll take a look at my Nava's version (I'm running it with the Extra9+ modification) and maybe I will be able to make a summary of what was bugging me... if you have time to look into these, I'd be happy to be your "beta tester" :-)
    In any case: thanks for already taking a shot at the new firmware! Really appreciated!
  • FlavioB wrote: Jan 14th, '24, 17:37 Hi @Oortone - thanks for picking up the firmware topic for the Nava!
    In the next days I'll take a look at my Nava's version (I'm running it with the Extra9+ modification) and maybe I will be able to make a summary of what was bugging me... if you have time to look into these, I'd be happy to be your "beta tester" :-)
    In any case: thanks for already taking a shot at the new firmware! Really appreciated!
    I guess the Extra9+ uses a different firmware? My mod is for the original hardware.
    EDIT: or maybe it's only differences in sound manipulations, no extra sounds? In that case I guess it works with the same firmware.
  • Oortone wrote: Jan 15th, '24, 09:09
    FlavioB wrote: Jan 14th, '24, 17:37 Hi @Oortone - thanks for picking up the firmware topic for the Nava!
    I guess the Extra9+ uses a different firmware? My mod is for the original hardware.
    EDIT: or maybe it's only differences in sound manipulations, no extra sounds? In that case I guess it works with the same firmware.
    AFAIR there's no different firmware related to the Extra9+ but let me double-check first...
    F.
  • FlavioB wrote: Jan 15th, '24, 09:28
    Oortone wrote: Jan 15th, '24, 09:09
    FlavioB wrote: Jan 14th, '24, 17:37 Hi @Oortone - thanks for picking up the firmware topic for the Nava!
    AFAIR there's no different firmware related to the Extra9+ but let me double-check first...
    F.
    Great to hear. Even more worth working on the firmware then :-)
  • Hi.
    I can confirm that Extra9+ does not come/require a dedicated firmware.
    So your further development will also work on my Nava.
    I'll get back to you!
    F.
  • The Stop/Continue functionality

This is not yet set. It might take some time and thinking to finish. Also there are the midi realtime equivalents when running as slave that I guess should reflect the same functionality as the buttons.

Here are the combinations I can think of and my preliminary suggestions. Hopefully they can be implemented. Please comment. :)

Sequencer is playing playing – then…

START
    Do nothing regardless of mode

CLEAR (remember sequencer is playing)
    Track play: bar aligned return to first bar
    Pattern play/write: immediate return to first step (sync to other gear will offset)

STOP
    Track play: stop – keep bar position
    Pattern play/write: stop – keep step position

STOP – CLEAR
    Track play: goto first bar (FWD, BWD to any bar in Track also possible)
    Pattern play/write: goto first step in current pattern

STOP – CLEAR – STOP (Continue):
    Track play: will play from first bar
    Pattern play/write: will play from first step in current pattern

STOP – CLEAR – START:
    Track play: will play from first bar
    Pattern play/write: will play from first step (in first pattern, if pattern chain)

STOP – STOP (Continue):
    Track play: play from current bar
    Pattern play/write: play from current step in current pattern

STOP – START:
    Track play: play from first bar
    Pattern play/write: play from first step in current pattern
  • Pattern chains - pattern groups (in Pattern Play mode)

I'm not sure of the terminology: Pattern Chains and Pattern Groups are essentially the same thing.

On the TR909 pattern chains could be saved so that when selecting one pattern, a whole chain would be selected. The chain was saved with the pattern. This was recreated in earlier versions of Nava firmware but there were a lot of inconsistencies when selecting chains. Both when selecting patterns with stored chains and also selecting new chains directly by pushing two pattern buttons. You would get repeats of some patterns or skipped patterns in a very unpredictable way. The cause of this seems to be both that new patterns are loaded from the slow EEprom at the last step of each bar but also probably bad logic structure. I could not really make it work until I removed the stuff involved in storing pattern chains (or groups as it is also called). The whole pattern preloading process was also altered to be safer.

From my point of view. Storing pattern chains is not especially useful and has drawbacks. Say you’ve stored a chain in pattern 5 so that selecting 5 selects 5-6-7-8. But what if you are improvising and suddenly want to select 5 only? That won’t work unless you stop the sequencer and break the chain. On the other hand, without stored chains, you can always select any pattern chain you want, at any time, sequencer playing. Up to about 8 patterns can be selected using only one hand for most people.

Unless I’ve missed some very valuable use of stored pattern chains it will not be re-implemented in this firmware since it really makes a lot of stuff very complicated. However the old code structures are kept inactivated in the code if some one some day really wants to implement storable pattern chains. :geek:
  • Hey!
    Let me take some time next week to read through your posts and give you feedback.
    Thanks already for your time end efforts!
    F
  • Great, thanks.
    The Start/Stop button logic is no rush. I will not fix that for the first beta, otherwise most things are falling into place and seems to work. Will probably make a proper beta release in the next few weeks.