Considering 2 modifications

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • If I were to implement a power switch in my Yocto, the way I would do it would be to cut the AC active and neutral on the AC adaptor cable and install a the switch there. Like some lamps have their switches in the cable.

Saves messing around with the Yocto :D
  • krisbo wrote:If I were to implement a power switch in my Yocto, the way I would do it would be to cut the AC active and neutral on the AC adaptor cable and install a the switch there. Like some lamps have their switches in the cable.

Saves messing around with the Yocto :D
    Yeah that's an idea. I'm hesitant to go cutting the AC adapter though since if I screw it up it means I'll have to wait a week or so for another one to be delivered from jameco...

It's not so bad just plugging in for power though and I can always go changing it later, I just like having everything plugged in constantly and ready to go at the flip of a switch.

Anyone tried different color LEDs? What I might do is just test out different resistances on a breadboard using the yocto's power supply and try to find the right resistance. But I think since the Vf is higher in blue LEDs, the worst case scenario for just a straight-swap would be dimmer LEDs than normal?
  • If you don't want to cut, get one of these:
    http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SK0998
  • Blue LEDs give off a lot of UV light FWIW. Other colors are probably better for your eyes, or you could wear sunglasses while Yocto'ing :D .
  • Um I always rock shades when i'm jamming 8-)

thanks for the tips, that adapter looks like a good idea krisbo I'll look up if there's one at a local electronics retailer
  • Here's how I integrated my switch :

I rotated the back pin of the 15VAC socket 180°, soldered a wire to it, and soldered a wire to the hole it was supposed to go in. These then go to a 1p switch that's mounted in the enclosure right above the socket.
  • Oh that's a good idea! I was thinking I'd have to scratch the traces on the PCB or something weird, I may do that now.

I ended up just going with the red LEDs because I realized all the step LEDs are red so it should match.