wow! it works! on first try! but... [SOLVED]

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • - the High Tom/high conga (depending on the switch setting) is playing constant 16th notes, although no notes are lit in the sequencer. What could this be?
    Have a look on Q56 and Q57. Is it the right transistor there?
    - there still is no sound from the Handclap/Maracas (I posted about this during build but unfortunately this hasn't changed after building cowbell and cymbal. Any tips?
    Check trig signal at Q29 base with a scope. Check R103 to R106 value too.

Best regards,
    e-licktronic
    Best regards,
    e-licktronic
  • Thank you very much for help
    Have a look on Q56 and Q57. Is it the right transistor there?
    Yes, Q56 is the "945" while Q57 is a "733", consistent with the Eagle files.
    Check trig signal at Q29 base with a scope. Check R103 to R106 value too.
    I checked the resistors, and they are:
    R103 - 22K
    R104 - 10K
    R105 - 4K7
    R106 - 10K, as they should be.

Although: when I measured R104 the meter showed me about 1K. I replaced the resistor with another 10K and the new one also measure 1K at that spot. is this because of ground?

I'm not sure what I should be seeing on the scope when I measure the trigger at the base of Q29 (a 733). I have 8th notes programmed for clap/Maracas. When I shorten the base to E or K on the transistor, I can hear 16th notes of clap or Maracas, depending on the switch setting (like on the high tom/high conga) and I see a 1ms pulse of about 0.5 volts (I think, not sure if my scope is calibrated... but it's consistent with what Arduino spits out with the trigger program someone posted), when I only measure the base I see nothing on the scope.

The Maracas already sounds good, the clap sounds like it's only noise and no clap sound.

I appreciate any help and ideas where else to look!

misa
  • once again replying to my own topic, unfortunately not with a solution. I just finished checking if I put all the right components in the right places in the handclap, it all checks out.

I wonder if there might be a problem with either the comparator or the BA6110. Is there a way to check them out? The pictures in the build-guide seem to be from a different revision of the board, so I looked up the info on the BA6110 and inserted it with the little notch facing toward the i/o board. is this correct?

As before, any help appreciated...!;)
  • misa wrote:I looked up the info on the BA6110 and inserted it with the little notch facing toward the i/o board. is this correct?
    Hey Misa, that is the orientation of my BA6110 and it works fine.
  • thank you, lfo2vco. So at least that's not the problem..:)

Vincent, do you have any more pointers and ideas for me? I checked all the components and they were all the right values in the right places. I even reflowed the solder in the entire handclap section.

Could it be a broken component somewhere? How can I check?

Thanks!
  • Dear Misa,

Do you solved High tom problem?
    For the clap: Check with a scope the VCA control signal at Pin like describe on this topic

Best regards,
    e-licktronic
    Best regards,
    e-licktronic
  • (Edited)

Hi Vincent,

thanks a lot for your support.

re: hightom: no, in fact I was more eager to solve the Handclap first. the hightom is still playing 16th, without any notes triggering, the 16th react to the accent, though..;)

I checked U23 with my scope and it seems that I can only see a sine wave coming from all pins (or something close to it) going about +/-8V if I read it correctly. This is while the sequencer is running and triggering the clap, but the triggers seem to make no difference.

How can I make sure my AN6912 isn't fried? ;-)

Edit: I re-read the handclap thread. If I turn TM3 all the way to the right, I hear the described noise. There is no sound at all when I turn it to full left.
  • Dear Misa,

Is Maracas working fine?
    If yes you should find trig signal on Pin8 of U23, is it ? even if AN6912 is dead.
    If no, slide switch maybe don't work properly,
    Check trig signal at Q29 emitter. Please could you post your scope screen it will be easier to debug.

Best regards,
    e-licktronic
    Best regards,
    e-licktronic
  • HI Vincent,

again, thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

I tested pin 8 of U23 and there is only a negative voltage (-0.5 V if I read my scope correctly), but no trigger.

The trigger is present, however, at the emitter of Q29.

If I shorten the base to the collector (is this the right English term?), I can hear either Maracas or something like a clap (mainly noise), playing 16th.

So I believe the sound making part works, it's the trigger that's not arriving in the right place?