Noise: no 130mV?

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • On comparing to the instructions again, I see that you soldered R127 as well, which isn't part of the list of parts of "Noise". Do I need to put that in too, before checking?

Also: +15 and-15 on the opamp 4558C are still working.
  • I think I overlooked R127 -- just found that it *is* part of "Noise"... so let me check that, for the time being, please excuse my standing in the corner blushing... :oops:
  • OK, got R127 in there, power is there, and I can (finally) adjust -- but the range is between 250 mV to close to 1000 mV -- so the lowest I can go is 250 mV.

*now* I need advice!
    how bad is 250 instead of 130 at this point? I suppose changing one of the fixed resistors would change things? But which one? for what?

;-)

Thank you!
  • Hey Misa,

I removed R127 and replaced it with a 100k trimmer like this:

The middle leg is bent across and soldered to the leg below the trimmer screw, then both the outer legs are soldered in the PCB where R127 came out. Like the image below, although the middle leg on this example has been bent across the opposite way.

I laid the trimmer flat on the PCB with the legs bent at a right angle, this keeps the profile low.

There is more info in this thread regarding the Noise section reference voltage: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=155
  • Ah, thanks for the link -- I tried using the search function but didn't find anything ("130 mV", "noise"), that's why I posted...
  • So after replacing the 4K7 for a 47K I am getting a usable range and got it set to 130 mV. Thanks!

But I don't understand why you replaced R127 with a trimpot? I thought you set TM4 once, then forget?
  • misa wrote:So after replacing the 4K7 for a 47K I am getting a usable range and got it set to 130 mV. Thanks!

But I don't understand why you replaced R127 with a trimpot? I thought you set TM4 once, then forget?
    Excellent, glad you have achieved the reference voltage. ;)

I used a trimpot as an alternative to a fixed resistor that is all. :P
  • I always get 8.2mV, and if I change the TRIM to any other position nothing happens. Ideas?! :idea:
  • mrgif, I'm afraid you need to check (measure and/or color-check) every resistor in the Noise section, double and triple check...

if it helps at all, maybe you can compare your build to my picture above?

I use this tool a lot to check resistor values:

http://www.digikey.com/us/en/mkt/calcul ... stors.html

Hope this gives you a start...