Snare drum no sound at all

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • Probably faulty one or two of M5218L, I had the same situation tried to swap and it worked.
  • another_universe wrote:Probably faulty one or two of M5218L, I had the same situation tried to swap and it worked.

Hmm I just went through and soldered in all of the M5218Ls into the sockets that I had initially put in there (they were all loose) and it's the same, and I took all of them out first so they all went in randomly and it's still not making any sound, apart from a slight click.

Also, when I turn the volume knob all the way down, there's a faint 'Shhh' noise as it goes down to zero..

I tried jumping the trig from the kick to it, but that made no difference, so I think it's triggering but not outputting...
  • So I've got a probe connected to an audio cable so I can listen to what's going on, and if I listen to the pins at the snappy pot I can hear the noise triggered, so the trigger/accent is getting through fine...
  • Also I can hear the noise part of the snare at the lower leg of R294.

I've not yet replaced as follows - "C163 is 0.047uF. We made a huge mistake when we told you that it was 0.47uF."
  • Also, I can't hear anything from the VCO points on the board.
  • Any ideas anyone? I just opened up the schematic pdf again to try to have another investigate but it's impossible for me to follow with all the labels on top each other..
  • Getting 13v at pin 3 of the output pot too, 9v with it turned down... :o
  • So trying to trace it round using the schematic here:
    http://hardware.freepage.de/raf909/

Not very far in, I have a trigger signal at the base of Q39, but then at the base of Q40 my digital oscilloscope is reading out of range (I have it set at 5v, which is the maximum), so I'm checking the values of resistors as I go, and I find that if I search for r244 in eagle, it highlights the legs of r246 and vice versa :?:
  • Okay so it's an error in the board file - the pcb is printed correctly - r246 below r244