Will Yocto v2 be available on v1?

Discuss use it and firmware update
  • i wouldn't count on that :|
  • What is a v2 on v1 ?
  • he probably means the yocto V2 firmware, on the yocto V1 hardware
  • Yes, that kind of what I meant. Of course since the hardware is different it can't be the same firmware but I was thinking about general improvements that are common to both.
  • as a "developer", i know how an abandoned project looks like
    and yocto v1 looks like that to me

in that case, it's up to the community to pick it up
    we (me and one or two other guys) tried to gather interest for a complete firmware rewrite, but it gathered dust
    now some other developers popped up, but they went for modifying the existing firmware (which IMO is a waste of time)
  • I would call Yocto V1 deprecated, not abandoned. Abandoned would indicate that there was no further development, but we already have a V2, so further development has happened. Maintenance is expensive. Frequently older versions are deprecated from support to focus energy and resources on new development.
  • I kind of thought development had halted that way. I've just built my Yocto v1 so I'm pretty happy as it is right now, just curious. All the 808-stuff seems fine to me. I can live without tap-write. The A/B programming mode is kind of implemented which makes me very happy. I always used that when I had an 808. But I understand there are some issues with "roll" and trig2. Not a big deal.

I guess the v2 is too different to just put that OS in v1 since it needs a display.

Anyway, I built my Yocto to get as close to an 808 as I could so I'm glad I got a v1. I really don't want to see a display or a PC2 on an 808. That's just wrong to me. :mrgreen:
  • need me some tap write... possible to load firmware on v1? did we ever work this one out?
  • frontnews wrote:Yocto V1 has been deprecated but not abandoned. Abandoned would imply no further work, but as we currently have a V2, clearly some progress was made. The cost of upkeep may add up quickly. Deprecating support for previous releases allows developers to put more time and how to get rid of moobs effort into producing new features.
    krunker
    Thanks for telling about this detail. We can hope that good new features are coming.