Exploring other enclosure options.

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • good woodwork !

• Did you use acryl for the front and output plates?
  • I have some silkscreens which I've not used.... :idea:
  • ElSchtroumpf wrote:I think I have finally found a good solution for the enclosure alternative. I have contacted a company that does laser cutting, bending as well as printing... actually they have experience with enclosures since they make them for Rodec and Sherman. I will send them the files so they can make an offer. If they can make a good deal for several units I will probably start a new thread to see how many people would be interested.
    Keep me posted on this.

Also I can ask my friend about 3d Printing the end cheeks..
  • Nice work Logium, I’m very impressed with your woodworking skills.

I am working on an design that uses Schaeffer extruded aluminium housing profiles to hold together laser cut High Impact Polystyrene Sheets. I have the profiles from Schaeffer and they cost £32, I have just sourced and bought the 1.5mm thick HIPS at 1372mm x 660mm, two sheets cost £35. The drawings for laser cutting are close to finalised, cutting is quoted at around £56. Graphics will be applied via encapsulated laser prints or I may push the boat out and get professionally printed self-adhesive vinyl.

I know the Ponoko solution is a lot cheaper, but I as long as my solution costs less than £200 I will be happy ;) I’ll let you know how it goes as the bits come together.
  • I just got off the phone with the guy who's going to make the design of the enclose, he told me he would get back to me next week regarding pricing. We agreed that he make an offer per ten units, since I will have to deal with the payment/shipping for any potential buyers, and I don't want to make this a full time job. :lol:

As for the design, I send them the pdf-file of the Hammond enclosure I mentioned in a previous post, for reference here's the link : http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1456RL1.pdf The actual design will be smaller, not much bigger than the Ponoko enclosure.

I went for a sloped design since I like this form factor for practical reasons and because I'm used to it, working on my Roland MC-505. The enclosure will be black with a printed faceplate.
  • I'm interested in that if you are taking a batch order. Would be good to see how the front panel comes out though...
  • ElSchtroumpf wrote:

Did you use acryl for the front and output plates?
    No acryl, I used 2mm steel plates for the front, output and base. all sides are oak wood.
    2mm for plates is too much, 1mm is enough. is going to be too heavy. The next time I would use 1mm steel plate.
  • 8Bit wrote:I'm interested in that if you are taking a batch order. Would be good to see how the front panel comes out though...

2nd that ;)
    Get the latest unofficial Yocto V1 firmware here.
    Be sure to check the revised manual.
    Leave your comments in this thread.