Almost all of my voices are fucked. Please help.

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • udenjoe wrote:For your sampled voices, I think you need the unbuffered CD4011s viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1131&p=6945&hilit=sequencer#p6945

For the sequencer I believe it's the EEPROM which wasn't compatible with the micro, and was shipped with the kit. This will exhibit unpredictable behavior. I used a 24LC1025 and this sequencer worked.
    Swapping the CD4011s with unbuffered worked! Hi hats sound good, Ride sounds good (other than accent notes only), crash sounds good (but is very quiet still). Also the EEPROM swap worked as well. No more weird sequencer problems so far. Fuck yes! Thanks again.

Any ideas why the crash may be quiet and ride/crash only allow for accented notes in the sequencer?
  • So now I have new problems.

BD is extremely loud and distorts unless i put it at around 1/4 level.
    BD attack does not do anything other than add a slight click sound. Am not sure if this has to do with the distortion/excessive volume problem.

Sequencer only allows accent for Open-HH, Ride, and Crash. Closed-HH works fine.

Crash is barely audible (but sounds clean this time at least!).

Also I've read other users having the issue of voices not being balanced? As in if everything was at max level, some voices would be much louder than others. Has anyone found a fix to this? :?:
    I have this same issue, and my lowtom and midtom seem to be very quiet compared to the rest of the voices. I.e. if i have my LT and MT at max level, I barely turn up the hats to get a balance in volume.

Any help is appreciated!
  • Everything is ok with opamps (M5218L) over there?
  • lukep_gdansk wrote:Everything is ok with opamps (M5218L) over there?
    I think so. I'll have a go at swapping the crash opamp. The only reason i've been hesitant is because i've broke the legs off of 2 M5218L's, which got stuck in the socket, which was a pain to remove, but i gotta start somewhere so, i'll try that.

I think KlangGenerator mentioned that he was to bet that Q70 was dead. Perhaps i'll remove that and test.

Still unsure about the excessive BD volume/distortion though, as well as the accent problems for OH, Ride, and Crash.

Edit: Swapped M5218L's - No change.
  • When I turn on the Nava I hear what sounds like a square wave. I can turn down the volume of the sound with the crash level pot. This only happens until the crash is triggered by the sequencer.

If i start the sequencer with a trigger on step 1 on crash, I hear a barely audible crash, followed by a clip sound. The clip happens sooner or later based on the tuning of the crash.

Not sure if this could hint at anything, cause i'm still unsure. I've swapped some IC's in the Crash section as well as some M5218L's with no luck.
  • Update for BD:

I checked over all components value. I did find C89 had wrong value, so I replaced it.

Unfortunately did not change anything - same problem. Excessive noise & distortion on BD.