Broken traces. Manufactuer or user problem

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • serum114 wrote:I seem to be reading a lot about broken traces in the forum. Is this bad workmanship or to do with the manufacture of the boards?

I'm still waiting to gather my full kit and just researching at the moment but I am really starting to feel I need to test the board before commencing the build.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Cheers!
    Well, there are indeed some people here reporting about this and I also experienced broken vias on two units I had here for repair. Some vias are very thin and the connection to the pad can be destroyed easily when applying too much mechanical or thermal action. Especially when desoldering parts there is a high risk to damage something.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1050&p=6276&hilit= ... ring#p6276

I have built 7 Navas so far and never experienced one single broken trace. I am pretty sure that the boards are all ok when they arrive at your place.
  • No damage on my board either.

Probably more likely that people will tend to post when a broken trace is found compared to others who will not mention when build has gone to plan with no faults.

Will only know the extent of the issue if you have an idea of the amount of boards manufactured to the amount that have faults identified.

But as I say my board had no issues what so ever, maybe I was lucky.

Only problem I had was one dead m5218l which Vincent kindly replaced free of charge.
  • I have built 3 navas and traces / pads were fine.. desoldering indeed should be done with patience and without force..

@Klanggenerator 7 Navas.. respect :mrgreen:
  • decoder303 wrote:I have built 3 navas and traces / pads were fine.. desoldering indeed should be done with patience and without force..

Don't mean to be off topic, but a cheap reflow station should work nicely for desoldering if done correctly and patiently, right? I've found one for about $30 that has good reviews, which is a lot cheaper than any of the vacuum desoldering stations I've seen online.

I don't want to destroy any more pads using a soldering pump and solder wick! :oops:
  • decoder303 wrote:I have built 3 navas and traces / pads were fine.. desoldering indeed should be done with patience and without force..

...and two further kits on the way right now. Maybe I should consult a doctor if symptoms persist... :oops:
  • It would be unfair to a lot of builders to say the Traces and Vias are not fragile. :roll: