[SOLVED] Need help to troubleshoot Bass Drum

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • Bumping this to the top :?
  • Finally! With no other idea and/or choice, I finally took the time to check for continuity in the whole kick drum section. I tested all the traces and found the culprit! Don't mind the flux residues :P

[resize=400]http://i.imgur.com/5tF5MMJ.jpg[/resize] [resize=400]http://i.imgur.com/xz81Bmi.jpg[/resize]
  • Just for my learning, which part turned out to be the problem? Hopefully you were able to get it fixed ok!
  • PortableFishy wrote:Just for my learning, which part turned out to be the problem? Hopefully you were able to get it fixed ok!
    Look at the black wire. He had a broken trace between those two points and fixed it with that wire.
  • KlangGenerator wrote:
    PortableFishy wrote:Just for my learning, which part turned out to be the problem? Hopefully you were able to get it fixed ok!
    Look at the black wire. He had a broken trace between those two points and fixed it with that wire.
    Thanks KlangGenerator! Are broken traces on the PCB common or does this usually only happen when we accidentally damage it while working on it?
  • PortableFishy wrote: Thanks KlangGenerator! Are broken traces on the PCB common or does this usually only happen when we accidentally damage it while working on it?
    I've seen several people reporting broken traces in the forum, and that's actually what gave me the idea to check for continuity. So yes, I think it could well happen, but in my case it's probably because I desoldered the IC in that region in order to fix the bass drum buzz. (the pads come off easily if you are inexperienced like me).

Additional note: I was able to remove the ground planes from the layers PDF files with the help of Illustrator and the magic wand tool. Setting it to match stroke width and stroke color with a tolerance of 0, clicking on one of the ground plane strokes allowed me to select all of them at once, and then delete them. It's much easier to see what's going on without the ground planes. I then superimposed both layers in photoshop and made the silkscreen info less visible, and also adjusted the traces colors to make them lighter (better contrast with my black sharpie)