Resistor Percentages/ratings %'s...

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • It's just the export from Eagle. American symbol is the zigzag way of drawing a resistor, like Vincent used in his schematics. European symbol is when they are drawn as a rectangular box.
    0207/7 is the package type, so length and diameter etc of the resistor.
  • And where are the tolerances (%'s)?

I want something concrete to check against the mouser BOM.

Does anyone know?
  • There are no set tolerances in the BOM, and if you look in the build guide Vincent used all kinds of resistors for his Nava.

I ordered 5% carbon film for all the resistors, with exception of the 15x 5k/10k/20k/40k/80k/160k in the hihat and cymbals, where I used 1% film. I also used 40k2 and 80k6 resistors as they're cheaper than the 40k and 80k ones, AFAIK.

And my Nava worked on the first power up and sounds great!
  • Ok. Thanks for the tips.

That's weird though, that it that there is no spec?
    I wonder what the original had?

I mean using carbon on all the analog stuff and metal on all the sequencer and sample voices makes sense but I'd like to make it as close as the original as possible.

That's what made me ask as the BOM list is different to Vincent's build guide photos... :roll: :?

There must be an answer. Vincent?
  • Dear hofmann25,

There is lot of different think about use carbon or metal film resistor. In our first prototype we use only carbon resistor like on the original TR909 and it sound pretty close the original we have for not to say the same. Then on the second prototype we used what we had in stock so a mix between carbon and metal film resistors and the sound was quite the same.
    I know that there are lot of analog purist who built the Nava and if you want to be as close as possible as the original TR 909, use carbon resistors on analog part of the circuit and doesn't matter if you use metal or carbon resistors on digital part except the one use for the DAC on HH, Cymbal and Ride section who have to be at least 1% tolerance.

Best regards,
    e-licktronic
    Best regards,
    e-licktronic
  • e-licktronic wrote:Dear hofmann25,

There is lot of different think about use carbon or metal film resistor. In our first prototype we use only carbon resistor like on the original TR909 and it sound pretty close the original we have for not to say the same. Then on the second prototype we used what we had in stock so a mix between carbon and metal film resistors and the sound was quite the same.
    I know that there are lot of analog purist who built the Nava and if you want to be as close as possible as the original TR 909, use carbon resistors on analog part of the circuit and doesn't matter if you use metal or carbon resistors on digital part except the one use for the DAC on HH, Cymbal and Ride section who have to be at least 1% tolerance.

Best regards,
    e-licktronic
    Thanks for the reply Vincent. Makes sense. ;)

But, I feel it would be beneficial to beginner and intermediate DIYers if you had the Tolerance (%) & Power rating (mW) for ALL resistors in your Nava v1.0 Parts list.
    http://www.e-licktronic.com/en/index.ph ... achment=55

From memory there are 3 different Tolerance ratings and 3 different power ratings. Considering some of us have had to buy 2 different kits :roll: :roll: :roll: because the mouse BOM was incorrect.

This will save people time, money and wanting to throw their PCB's out the window... :D