Slide switch grounding?

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • bmaximus wrote:...It does not completely solve the problem of resonance of the toms/congas...

Really??
    That's not good, hum and clicks make me think about to build or not, and I already order two metal enclosures...
  • All I can tell you is judge by your ears, keeping in mind who soundcloud uses compression at 128K which enhances the noise floor. It seems to me an acceptable result.
    https://soundcloud.com/maxibi/yocto-sou ... tomscongas
  • I don´t ear any hum noise on that recording, to my it´s ok.
  • it's true ... In some cases the noise can jump out. Perhaps increase too much the sound card gain, or by using certain effects, such as distortion or compressor, but after grounded switches and the enclosure is in control. I am very pleased to have completed this project!
  • bmaximus wrote:Thanks so much, this advice was very helpful. It does not completely solve the problem of resonance of the toms/congas (especially for the midconga) but attenuates it, so as to be able to record sound!
    In this photo you can see how i've connected the swithces to ground:

What version of pcb do you have?

Do you have one more yellow wire to a ground point?

From the photo you have made a bigger antenna by chaining them together and not connecting one end point. Otherwise it looks like a great way to get it done..
  • Kazper wrote:
    bmaximus wrote:Thanks so much, this advice was very helpful. It does not completely solve the problem of resonance of the toms/congas (especially for the midconga) but attenuates it, so as to be able to record sound!
    In this photo you can see how i've connected the swithces to ground:
    What version of pcb do you have?

From the photo you have made a bigger antenna by chaining them together and not connecting one end point. Otherwise it looks like a great way to get it done..
    Right, that seems like a valid concern. What would you recommend, connecting the "end" point of the chain to gnd, or running separate wires from 1 gnd point to each switch body?
    I wish one of the e-licktronic guys to have a look at this topicand provide a visual of the ground planes, so we can investigate and sort all these grounding issues once and for all
    Get the latest unofficial Yocto V1 firmware here.
    Be sure to check the revised manual.
    Leave your comments in this thread.
  • Chaining them together to a single ground point should be fine over separate runs. Just don't make a ground loop by tie both ends to separate or the same grind point.

I think from another thread there is 2 ground planes, one for the 15v circuits and one for the 5v circuits based on issues with triggering.

Just a note, chain them from left to right with short wires around the other components and when you get to the last one chain it to the nearby potentiometer mount. Use your DMM and check for continuity before the mod and after to verify that it is resolved.

I did this and have a internal power transformer, nice and quite.
  • Kazper wrote: What version of pcb do you have?

Sorry for the delayed response, but unfortunately, i realize only now being quoted. About the grounding and the possibility of creating "a cure that is worse than the desease" i just tried the easiest way to solve the problem (many small cables that go from left to right to connect to the nearest ground). I believe it is the last printed circuit version, since I bought it last fall. In my case the "cure" it work enough, because the noise floor, by ear, is comparable with most of the instruments built in factory...
    Ciao!
  • Can I investigate a geometric/level set method to locate ground plane objects in a robot environment and reconstruct their structure from a collection of sparse views?