5 Wire for Power Supply

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • yes wires aren't in the BOM or in the kit
  • Hmm...what kind of wires are they? I'm not sure what exactly to get.
  • For the power wires I re-used the wiring of an ATX power supply out of an old PC. The black/red/yellow/orange ones.

For the other connections I purchased this online: http://www.conrad.be/ce/nl/product/0685 ... ggest=true
  • jeroenbvo wrote:For the power wires I re-used the wiring of an ATX power supply out of an old PC. The black/red/yellow/orange ones.

For the other connections I purchased this online: http://www.conrad.be/ce/nl/product/0685 ... ggest=true

Would I be able to purchase these wires and use them for the power supply as well? What would the equivalent be called? Because I'm in the United States and I'm not sure what I'm searching for. "ATX wires?" "power supply wires"?

thanks!
  • 18 or 20 AWG stranded wire will do for the power supply. 24 AWG stranded wire for the other connections.
    Radio Shack maybe? If it still exists? Otherwise try Mauser.
  • jeroenbvo wrote:18 or 20 AWG stranded wire will do for the power supply. 24 AWG stranded wire for the other connections.
    Radio Shack maybe? If it still exists? Otherwise try Mauser.

thanks so much! this made it much easier. so now i got myself wire cutters, a crimper and some 20 and 24 awg wires. thanks again!
  • Hi Everyone
    Do we have to solder the crimped wires to its housing? Or is it supposed to be resistant enough just by pinching the wires?
  • I'm not positive if the correct method is soldering the wires to the connector but that's what I did. I didn't feel confident about the "crimped only" method. Now if I'm having some issues I can rule out faulty wire connections. I also checked and re-checked every wire connection once I had completed them to make sure I had a solid connection. This might be over kill but I want to make sure I do everything possible to rule out human error if my Nava doesn't work as it should.
  • Definitely solder them in place. I tinned both exposed ends and soldered the part that went into the connector terminal. The Molex terminals from the mouser BOM have a solder tray in the middle for this exact purpose.