Toms noise

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • Vincent pointed out the resistors that control the amount of noise in the toms:

Hi tom noise level = R273
    Middle tom noise level = R245
    Low Tom noise level = R216

I messed around with a few values and found 56K to give a more pleasant balance between the noise in the snare and the toms. Not sure if the sound is true to the original 808 or not but I really don't care because the toms sound much nicer to me now.
  • I've found from building the toms in the past that how you're listening can strongly affect how you hear the noise, due to background noise in your environment and how your speakers handle white noise etc. I often hear a pretty significant difference listening on my speakers vs headphones. Maybe try listening to them from many different sources to get the exact right balance?
  • Listening to mine on studio monitors. The noise was massively overpowering the toms sound.
  • mine as the same "problem", noise is too high in toms...
    do I need to try different values for those resistors or do I need to calibrate other trimmers before ?
    krisbo wrote:Vincent pointed out the resistors that control the amount of noise in the toms:

Hi tom noise level = R273
    Middle tom noise level = R245
    Low Tom noise level = R216

I messed around with a few values and found 56K to give a more pleasant balance between the noise in the snare and the toms. Not sure if the sound is true to the original 808 or not but I really don't care because the toms sound much nicer to me now.
    hand clap noise/decay is still too long/high for me...