Trials of an electronics novice

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • do you have +/- 15 and +5V on the IO board at the other end of the power cables?
    a photo of your project might help
  • FactoryDefault wrote:do you have +/- 15 and +5V on the IO board at the other end of the power cables?
    a photo of your project might help

The soldering is ugly but functional. Can anybody suggest where the problem might be?

I've got a few other questions for any experienced builders. How do you tell which potentiometer to use in a given spot? And should the 0.1uf film capacitors in the Snare Drum section be 100v or 63v?

Thanks again
  • Most of your diodes are all the wrong kind!
    Also D101 is in the wrong direction!
  • drifter7508 wrote:Most of your diodes are all the wrong kind!
    Also D101 is in the wrong direction!
    Thanks, I flipped the 101 around but no change to the voltages. The diodes were a replacement for others on backorder, but they are the same ones now in the BOM (512-1N4148)
  • No, they are not.

1N4004 are the right ones.
  • My mistake, thanks for the correction. I overlooked the packed and hadn't figured out the labelling system when I did the build. Will try and fix it up now :oops:
  • asadok wrote:Hello all,
    as the name of the thread makes clear, I'm attempting a Nava build with no previous electronics experience, and feeling somewhat overwhelmed, surprise surprise.
    Thanks in advance
    If I where in your shoes, I would put the Nava-kit on the shelve, and do a couple of guitar pedalkits first to get going and get som experience.
    And later you will have some nice pedals for your finished Nava :)
  • AonFluX wrote:If I where in your shoes, I would put the Nava-kit on the shelve, and do a couple of guitar pedalkits first to get going and get som experience.And later you will have some nice pedals for your finished Nava :)
    Good idea ;)

Best regards,
    e-licktronic
    Best regards,
    e-licktronic
  • I agree with the "practice on something smaller" idea but in answer to your questions:

*potentiometers - look underneath them. B103 = Linear 10k (10 x 10^3). Google the other codes to find values or measure resistance across pin 1 and 3 to find total. I sorted and separated mine into ziplock bags before I started to make them easier to find once the soldering started.

*film caps - voltage for a capacitor is more of a safety/longevity thing. As long as the voltage rating is higher by a margin of safety than the voltage that exists in the circuit, you're good. This project is 15V max so 50V, 63V or 100V are fine. It's the type and capacitance that matter.

Hope this helps. Remember, everyone was a novice once!