Cymball voltage on U5 testing low by .5V

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • I just finished building the Cymball and I am seeing only +13.9V and -14.4V on U5. This is about a half-volt less than I have been seeing when testing op-amp pads in other sections.
    Have a look at the schematic please:

1. Did the Voltage on U3 check out fine?
    I'm also curious what Voltage you measure on the Positive sides of R86*, R96* and R102*?
    (They're all on the same positive rail as pin8 of U5 named +B1*)

2. When you measure pin8 of U5, where do you put the probe? On the pcb, a socket or with the ic soldered in?

3. Is the Voltage on U1 still like expected??
  • Hi, ikke :-)

I finished the build and everything sounds good EXCEPT the Low Tom, which doesn't sound at all.

I have tried everything from resoldering every point to replacing the 4558 and diodes. I see normal voltage across the 4558.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

ikke wrote:
    I just finished building the Cymball and I am seeing only +13.9V and -14.4V on U5. This is about a half-volt less than I have been seeing when testing op-amp pads in other sections.
    Have a look at the schematic please:

I'm also curious what Voltage you measure on the Positive sides of R86*, R96* and R102*?

2. When you measure pin8 of U5, where do you put the probe? On the pcb, a socket or with the ic soldered in?

3. Is the Voltage on U1 still like expected??
  • Good to see you got it sorted out!
    So all the instruments (except for the Low Tom) work like they should despite the weird voltage drop on the 4558's?
    :)
  • [/quote]Have a look at the schematic please:

3. Is the Voltage on U1 still like expected??[/quote]

Hey, I'm having a similar problem whereby i'm reading 14.1V + & - in their respective places on the two pins of U5. I have checked the resistors you mentioned, all show 14.1V+.
    I am probing on the PCB, no socket or IC installed.
    The only significant voltage I am reading on U1 is a perfect 5V+.
  • Hey Jeremy,
    I think it has something to do with the R/C's on the powerlines and their tolerances.

You could have a look at R165*, C85* for the 15V+ line and R164*,C84 on the 15V- line and see how big the input voltage and voltage drop is and compare them to for instance +/- B2.

It also depends a bit what Voltage you get from the I/O board I believe so you have to take that in account. It's only a 1% out of tolerance on top of the 5% so... You'll probably be fine.

But that could also be caused by a flaky multimeter. I have had some little variations in my measurements aswell, but like in the range of +/- 0,15V.

Keep in mind I'm no expert by far either.