SOLVED! Everything looks ok but no sound

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • rv0 wrote:If there was a problem with gnd, I guess I wouldnt be able to measure voltages using the gnd point on the ISCP socket
    Problem of ground continuity doesn't mean you would have ground or not on one ground point I think... It means you should test the continuity between every ground point and the main one. Just my thoughts, I'm not an expert.

If you are able to hear the sounds in any way with probe somewhere, that means the problem is at the end of the chain. I would check the master section.
    The probe is actually just an audio cable inserted into a cheap usb soundcard. I don't even have the ground connected to that cable, strange indeed.
    The sleeve of the audio cable is also called ground ;)
  • I don't see any visible errors, so this is like looking for a needle in a haystack for me.
    Get the latest unofficial Yocto V1 firmware here.
    Be sure to check the revised manual.
    Leave your comments in this thread.
  • When i started my yocto the first time, a 100R resistor has burned too. :D On the main board.
    I replaced it and it did not recur.
    Do not bother trying to debeug the master section for now, because as i said earlier, a 808 or a clone can play sound without this.(with separate output) I know from experience because i have a tr8060 under construction. And 8060 has almost the same circuit. With which 8060 must do a lot more testing and experimentation to get a sound.
    Do you still check the voltage of R155 with a multimeter? (when you seq a BD)
    Because i know that's where the accent is sent to the bass drum for example.
    One theory if an electric pulse is sent to this location and another simultaneously to the trig in (R152). Then a BD is played.
    Ditto for all the instruments, they have all points to receive the trig and another for accent.
    Do not worry, my yocto did not work right away. It took me 3 hours for debeugg. It's not abnormal to make some mistakes, there are many things to weld...
  • Dear rv0,

Your problem come from the accent section 99% sure.
    First check the bad solder. It was the most common problem on the Yocto i fixed.
    Then if it's still not working. Check the trig signal with your soundcard scope on IC6 Pin 10 then on the connection betwenn Q32 and R113.

Best regards,
    e-licktronic
    Best regards,
    e-licktronic
  • e-licktronic wrote:Dear rv0,

Your problem come from the accent section 99% sure.
    First check the bad solder. It was the most common problem on the Yocto i fixed.
    Then if it's still not working. Check the trig signal with your soundcard scope on IC6 Pin 10 then on the connection betwenn Q32 and R113.

Best regards,
    e-licktronic

Hi Vincent

Solder all looks fine. I reflowed all parts that did not look 100% acceptable.
    I'm seeing triggers on Q32 emitter. Though I don't think they are very loud.
    Also when I touch these points with audio probe I hear sound from the master out.
    IC6 Pin 10 measures 14.5V
    14.5V on center pin of Q32

What exactly can I test/measure?

Thanks for the help!

EDIT:
    I took wrong Pin 10 of IC6, It is actually 14,5V.. The signal seems constant
    Last edited by rv0 on Oct 8th, '14, 08:32, edited 2 times in total.
  • Can you post a print-screen of the trig signal you get with your scope.
    If the trig signal only appear when you make a contact with your probe it 's because of a ground problem maybe. I'm not sure about the CD4011BCN too because we never try it only the 4011BE version. Maybe it could be the problem too.

Sorry to not be more accurate
    Best regards,
    e-licktronic
    Best regards,
    e-licktronic
  • e-licktronic wrote:Can you post a print-screen of the trig signal you get with your scope.
    If the trig signal only appear when you make a contact with your probe it 's because of a ground problem maybe. I'm not sure about the CD4011BCN too because we never try it only the 4011BE version. Maybe it could be the problem too.

Sorry to not be more accurate
    Best regards,
    e-lcktronic
    I posted some images here previously, but I removed the post. I had looked at wrong datasheet
    Now using this

R113: (repeating, its the pattern)

IC6 pin 10 (14,5V constant)

CD4011BCN works in my friends yocto.
    shorting Q31 to ground triggers it.
  • Dear Rv0,

From what you measured the trig output should work properly. I don´t understand why you have not yet the instruments that sound :?
    Try to compare accent section voltage with your friend Yocto.

Best regards,
    e-licktronic
    Best regards,
    e-licktronic
  • Well, that won't be possible immediately, And I'm afraid to ruin that one in the process of testing stuff (a slip of the probe happens easily..). But as a last resort, yeah.
    Any additional hints/things to check are always welcome.

If I can't fix it by end of the week I'll take it to a technician and pay to have it fixed, spent to much time on this already.