SOLVED! Everything looks ok but no sound

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • It's strange! It does not work either in expander?
  • Dr.Knob wrote:It's strange! It does not work either in expander?
    strange indeed.

expander mode, same thing, i check pin 1 of IC5 and i do get the triggers on scope, but again, no sound
    Get the latest unofficial Yocto V1 firmware here.
    Be sure to check the revised manual.
    Leave your comments in this thread.
  • Are the cables linking the 2 PCB in good condition? I had some of them broken after turning again and again the PCBs.
  • gihaume wrote:Are the cables linking the 2 PCB in good condition? I had some of them broken after turning again and again the PCBs.
    Sure, I only soldered the cables between 2 PCB in the last step, so they are in perfect condition.
    I checked with a (soundcard) probe on R175 lead (BD OUT) and I don't seem to get anything. I'm using GND point on the ICSP footprint in all my measurements btw.
    I must have made some global mistake in all voices .. I don't get it .. Will fully debug the BD tonight and hopefully that will give some clues.

Thanks for the help so far!
  • yes that's exactly what we need to do, first try to debeug the bass drum, then after the other instuments. One by one and with separate outputs, as the master module is not essential for the firsts tests. Although the master unit does not work in theory , you can still try each instrument separately.
    Check your power supply too.
  • A friend of mine pointed out to me that the problem may originate in the accent section, due to the way the accent influences the triggers. And it looks like he's right!
    I first replaced the 4011 as I read there's problems with some of them, and replaced it with a CD4011BCN.
    That did not fix the problem.

Then, by mere accident I slipped my audio probe against R101, and yes, the yocto starts playing his pattern.

So whenever I touch R101 with probe I hear the (lovely) sounds.. I think the solution is near, but I'm too stupid to find it. I reflowed all nearby components.
    Any more suggestions?
  • If you sequence a bass drum and that there isn't enough voltage on any side of R155, so that means say that the accent unit is faulty.
  • R151 was burned (see r 151 accent resistor burns) .. replaced it now. but still not working.
  • Maybe check Gnd continuity all the way through to just before the power socket? I think I saw in another thread that Vincent said grounding was an explanation for no sound throughout. It's funny that your multimeter probe makes things work.