Problem tuning cymbal - no square wave from R44*

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • I noticed the period in your first screenshot is much shorter than your second. I just tried tuning TM1* & TM2* and I get a strong 50Hz wave along with the square wave on both R44* and R45*.
    Could you check if you have the same problem on R44*? You need a time window of more than 20ms to see the 50Hz wave.

Also, how do I get rid of it??
  • ElSchtroumpf wrote:I noticed the period in your first screenshot is much shorter than your second. I just tried tuning TM1* & TM2* and I get a strong 50Hz wave along with the square wave on both R44* and R45*.
    Could you check if you have the same problem on R44*? You need a time window of more than 20ms to see the 50Hz wave.

Also, how do I get rid of it??
    I checked but don't have that kind of problem. On a longer time frame my R44* looks like this but as I said, the threshold is so low that the wave is mostly noise I guess. The actual square wave I should be seeing is missing I think.

• Hi Gyuunduh,

Are you grounding your scope to pin 7 of U1?
    I had a similar problem and it was due to not grounding the scope properly.
  • lfo2vco wrote:Hi Gyuunduh,

Are you grounding your scope to pin 7 of U1?
    I had a similar problem and it was due to not grounding the scope properly.
    On previous tests I have had it grounded to the main ground connector GND that has a direct connection to pin 7 of U1. That way I have gotten the correct waveform from R45* which should mean that the problem is not in the grounding of the probe. Now I tried also from pin 7 of U1, but the waveforms are the same as previously, as they should be. So no help from there, but thank you anyway.

Vincent, where are you? I need your help! :?
  • I figured out how to ground my scope (I'm not using the sound card scope but a USb scope) and got both square waves sorted out. Had to change out both R44* and R45* though.

I'm probably stating the obvious but have you checked this thread? viewtopic.php?f=16&t=209&start=10
  • ElSchtroumpf wrote:I figured out how to ground my scope (I'm not using the sound card scope but a USb scope) and got both square waves sorted out. Had to change out both R44* and R45* though.

I'm probably stating the obvious but have you checked this thread? viewtopic.php?f=16&t=209&start=10
    I had not noticed that thread, thanks for pointing that out. I checked the waves from different pins of U1 and got nice square waves from pins 2 to 10 but 12 gives me a same looking false shape as R44*

So what am I to do?

Pin 12:

R44*