r 151 accent resistor burns

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • As stated in the thread VCA accent troubles, we are 2 people to have this same problem, and at least me without any other unfindable mistake (yes only another one but I know why).

I also checked many times a lot of things, so much that with all the movements, I broke the "Cable 10Pos" linking both PCBs! I checked every component's place and way, resistors values, and transistor's proper functioning of the accent section.
  • Dear Diyer,

R151 burned because you get a short cut between ground and +15v psu rail.
    C34, Q27 or the 4011 could be the problem.

Best regards,
    e-licktronic
    Best regards,
    e-licktronic
  • Hello franzkleid,

I had same problem on 4th batch kit.
    Please try unbuffered 4011UB.
    I solved R151 problem by it.

cheers
  • Thank you!

The batch before the 4th did have a different 4011 than BE?
  • keen wrote:Hello franzkleid,

I had same problem on 4th batch kit.
    Please try unbuffered 4011UB.
    I solved R151 problem by it.

cheers
    wow is that really the issue? My local electronics retailers don't seem to differentiate, just listing "4011" without any suffix. I guess I could go in-person or call to verify the buffered vs unbuffered versions...

EDIT: I just checked the TR-808 service manual and as far as I can tell they used 4011B type NAND gates. So maybe that's not the problem?
    Attached screenshot from the service manual:
    Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg (21.15 KiB)
    Viewed 10550 times
  • Hello.

Sorry, I'm not sure why UB version solved it.
    I have 2 kits of 4th batch. Both kits had same problem. And solved it with 4011UB.
    BTW, 4011UB is used for 9090 too.

regards,
  • Replace your 4011. I replaced mine with a 4011BE and it's rocking now!
  • I also have a few yocto kits so I tried with the 4011BE of another kit (not built yet), and again the same problem!
  • By the sound of it there may be some issues with the 4011 used seeing as a fewguys have had issues with them. Pick yourself up a new one from an electronics shop and see how you go.