Oortone 2024 alternative firmware for Nava

Discuss use it and firmware update
  • e-licktronic wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 05:17 Hi Oortone,

Glad to see that Nava still inspired programmer. Nice work ;)
    Please could you update the link to the source code ?
    Thank you
    Thanks for reminding, done.
    It's a very nice machine and with the Nava Extra 9 also I hope some firmware improvements can be useful.
  • Hey man!
    I never got to install the new firmware version, but now I am ready and the first question arises in advance. You instruct to erase the EEPROM before installing your firmware version. This clears all patterns.
    Is there any way to backup the patterns in advance, then restore them after the Oortone version is installed?
    Thanks,
    F.
  • FlavioB wrote: Feb 19th, '24, 16:05 Hey man!
    I never got to install the new firmware version, but now I am ready and the first question arises in advance. You instruct to erase the EEPROM before installing your firmware version. This clears all patterns.
    Is there any way to backup the patterns in advance, then restore them after the Oortone version is installed?
    Thanks,
    F.
    Sorry for this late reply. I only have so much time to spend on this. Wish I had more.

There's the sysex option for backup which I hope to include in my next update but I'm not sure if that really solves the problem. The thing is that the previous versions I build upon have had some changes to the EEprom memory structure so I can't be 100% sure things work as they should if it's not initialized.
    I realize that's a big drawback for those who have great rythms stored but there's really not much I can do about it since there have been numerous iterations of the previous firmware.

You can try not to initialize it won't harm the machine but you might get weird bugs. At least I got some really strange ones.

If you use the version with sysex I guess you can make a back up, try this new firmware and then go back and restore previous setup with previous firmware. I haven't tried the sysex myself yet. When I do I might try to see if can make the latest earlier version with sysex and my new firmware compatible. That's the best I can do.

It might be a few months though.... :|
  • No rush in this! I also haven't yet had time to proceed :-(
    So you're suggesting that I can backup via SysEx with the actual firmware - right?
    But then, restoring on your firmware could lead to errors - right?
    So, do you think there's maybe a way to just play the saved patterns and record MIDI on a sequencer, so that I could "document" the patterns?
    Or just go the full manual way of writing down everything on a sheet of paper, for each pattern all the individual instruments?
    Thanks,
    F.
  • FlavioB wrote: Mar 18th, '24, 13:56 No rush in this! I also haven't yet had time to proceed :-(
    So you're suggesting that I can backup via SysEx with the actual firmware - right?
    But then, restoring on your firmware could lead to errors - right?
    So, do you think there's maybe a way to just play the saved patterns and record MIDI on a sequencer, so that I could "document" the patterns?
    Or just go the full manual way of writing down everything on a sheet of paper, for each pattern all the individual instruments?
    Thanks,
    F.
    If sysex is ok (which I believe it is but I want to make sure) and I can add it, then sysex backups from the latest Neuro version of the firmware should work.