midi transmit

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • I'd like to add to this... I found that triggering the sounds from external MIDI literally only worked once per instrument. I was able to trigger each sound ONE TIME via an external device and never again until my Nava was powered off and back on... at which point each sound could be triggered again, but still one time each. Firmware issue or build issue?? Maybe not receiving note off messages via MIDI? :?:
  • I didn't had trouble sequencing the Nava with a Beatstep Pro nor Ableton Live except the OH trigger problem that has been mentioned here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1014

mex, I guess that if you can see the MIDI clock on the Atmega, the MIDI signal is coming in, and if you can sync it to other gear, no problem around the opto-isolator, 6N138.
    Are you trying to send MIDI notes to the Nava or you're looking to send notes from the Nava to another drum machine? I don't think that it's possible to play other gear with the Nava MIDI out, except monophonic synth with the external instrument function. You can also sequence drum with it, but you'll be able to play only one MIDI note by step, so not really useful. The Yocto was not able to do it to, I hope a future update fix that!

stairre, did you update to v1.019 yet? cause it should fix something about MIDI ON/OFF messages
    v1.019:
    -Fixed Middle Tom low volume
    -Now respond to Midi note ON velocity 0 message as a Midi note OFF message
    hope this helps!
  • stairre wrote:I'd like to add to this... I found that triggering the sounds from external MIDI literally only worked once per instrument. I was able to trigger each sound ONE TIME via an external device and never again until my Nava was powered off and back on... at which point each sound could be triggered again, but still one time each. Firmware issue or build issue?? Maybe not receiving note off messages via MIDI? :?:
    Yes, this a bug that I identified a while ago, it was fixed in 1.019.

See this tread for more details.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=899
  • yeah, thanks I checked that i have installed firmware 1.018
    so i will try to get a never version onto my nava and then try again.

What I wanted to test is play the nava from an external keyboard via midi, and what i hoped to do is maybe play the exact patterns from the nava via midi out on my tr707 to have exactly the same beats.

But as you said this might not be possible, surely this is only a software issue, but one would need the code in open source to work with it ;)

Guess i finish my yocot as well and afterward try to build my very own firmware with another processor, so i got more control over it, but that might take some time :)
  • mex wrote:yeah, thanks I checked that i have installed firmware 1.018
    so i will try to get a never version onto my nava and then try again.

What I wanted to test is play the nava from an external keyboard via midi, and what i hoped to do is maybe play the exact patterns from the nava via midi out on my tr707 to have exactly the same beats.

But as you said this might not be possible, surely this is only a software issue, but one would need the code in open source to work with it ;)

Guess i finish my yocot as well and afterward try to build my very own firmware with another processor, so i got more control over it, but that might take some time :)
    Being able to use the x0x sequencer of the Nava to trigger other drums would be amazing :)
  • Ahh Rowan. Thanks for the heads up. I was so used to checking the "Hardware" section, I spaced and didn't even think to check the "Software" section. :roll:
  • I hope the development team midi transmit is aware of these problems actively working on a solution. It would be greatly appreciated if there could be a prompt update or patch to address these lag concerns.
    spacebar clicker