Unoffical Firmware Available

Discuss use it and firmware update
  • Wow! This is great! I will look over and test the new changes this weekend.

I love the idea of a refactor. I was actually just poking around in the code the other day to try and get the MIDI sync tighter. And I hear you about the code style being a bit messy...
  • helectromagneticus wrote: I love the idea of a refactor. I was actually just poking around in the code the other day to try and get the MIDI sync tighter. .
    you have problems with midisync?
    apart from issues in edit mode (fixed in latest PR) i wasn't aware of issues there..

as for refactor: yeah.. I started doing some things, but it's far from finished:
    - only 1 method for playing a pattern, not 1 per sync mode.. the code should not have to worry about which sync mode it is in
    - removed all code from interrupts.. just incrementing a counter in there
    - make the trigger stuff a lot less voodoo (will make a lot of things more stable)
    - make all sync modes 96 ppqn: this will allow shuffle and also a more uniform roll mode
    - some ideas to make roll mode a lot better / flexible

This will take a while though, It's also a learning process for me.
    Get the latest unofficial Yocto V1 firmware here.
    Be sure to check the revised manual.
    Leave your comments in this thread.
  • I tested rv0's code and it works great on my machine. I think there's still some weird behavior to work out in Track Edit mode while MIDI synced, but rv0's changes are a good step forward for sure. The new release is up on github:
    https://github.com/HomoElectromagneticu ... /tag/v1.2c

My problems with MIDI sync are pretty general. I don't like the delay inherent to using MIDI clock and am looking for ways to reduce the time it takes the Yocto to handle a MIDI message in hopes of reducing that delay time. I haven't put too much effort into that because I know MIDI can never be as tight as DIN sync anyway.

Some of your refactor ideas are really great. I especially like the idea to have only one function to play a pattern. In reality you may need at least two depending on the clock type (24PPQN or 96PPQN).

Stripping the interrupts down should be approached with some caution. To my eyes, it looks like there's some magic going on there.

What voodoo are you referring to in the trigger out code? If you're talking about the calls to digitalWrite(), then I agree that a better and faster solution could be found. One would just need a bit of code implementing a shadow register for PORTB on the microcontroller.

You won't be able to get 96PPQN in all sync modes. MIDI sync is only 24PPQN sadly.

I would love to improve roll mode - there is some weird stuff going on with that.
  • As usual - thank you guys! You're doing great work on this firmware!
    F.
  • helectromagneticus wrote:I think there's still some weird behavior to work out in Track Edit mode while MIDI synced
    let me know if you have more info on that, it should be fixable
    helectromagneticus wrote: You won't be able to get 96PPQN in all sync modes. MIDI sync is only 24PPQN sadly.
    I got an idea about that. A lot of machines have higher internal clocks even when synced to midi, so I don't see why the yocto cannot..
    Initial plan was to make it all 24ppqn as it's pointless to have a total different machine and functionality when using internal sync. Having 96ppqn means we can have shuffle and crazy rolls in all modes.
    helectromagneticus wrote: Stripping the interrupts down should be approached with some caution. To my eyes, it looks like there's some magic going on there.
    I don't like magic :mrgreen:
  • FlavioB wrote:As usual - thank you guys! You're doing great work on this firmware!
    F.
    BTW: is anybody looking into Nava firmware as well? Not necessarily you two guys, just asking out of curiosity...
    F.
  • Sorry to sound stupid but im terminally challenged with modern pcs. Anyone willing to burn me an AT of this unofficial fw?
  • Masuto wrote:Sorry to sound stupid but im terminally challenged with modern pcs. Anyone willing to burn me an AT of this unofficial fw?
    I'm still working on the firmware, so there will be more updates and new features coming this year at least from me... So I would really recommend to learn it so you can update as new versions appear, it's not difficult at all.

This is how I do it:
    Initial setup:
    1) Make sure you have a midi interface connected to your pc.. I use an older version of https://www.esi-audio.com/products/midimateex/ .. Connect midi out to the Yocto midi in
    - Download and install Elektron C6: https://www.elektron.se/wp-content/uplo ... N_1.51.zip (there's other tools, but they need more advanced config, this just works out of the box, for now, it's end of life).
    2) Open C6 and configure midi output (Config) so that it sends midi to a cable that goes into the Yocto's midi in. If the delay setting is 0, set it to something like 16, that setting works for me, but its very randomly chosen I think
    Once that is setup:
    - Download latest Yocto.syx from here https://github.com/HomoElectromagneticu ... 8/releases
    - Open the Yocto.syx in C6, make sure it is selected and put your mouse pointer on "Send" (don't click it yet)
    - Power on the Yocto holding keys 1-3-5, and quickly (within 5 seconds) press "Send" in C6
    - You are now transfering the firmware (Rolling LED animation on yocto). Once done, you've successfully updated the firmware :ugeek:

Good luck! If you get stuck people will help you, don't worry!
    Last edited by rv0 on Jan 30th, '20, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
  • Amazing! Will try tonight!!! HUGE THANK YOU!!!