MUX_SH board mod tutorial

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • phwoah, thanks for sharing that information. I guess I need to order more mux boards from Vincent..

Does that essentially mean we can safely say there is something wrong with the actual mux pcbs?
  • Im unsure what the problem is, but i feel it could be a fault in manufacturing. That said vincent has told me e-licktronic have built 10+ 1.2 with no faults.
  • emerse wrote:
    Behaviour wrote:Hi,

I'm about to start the MUX mod but realised I need the header pins for J15 to connect the female jumper wire. I don't have the pins can anyone send me a link to mouser for the correct ones to use or tell me what I need, please?

For some reason, I don't have them from the original build.

Thanks in advance

Doug
    this is the double row straight 6 position header for connecting the left mux board to the main board:

https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Amp ... wzDw%3d%3d

this is the single row right angle 3 position header for the mux boards:

https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Amp ... vMZA%3d%3d

i have had issues with the wire in arduino jumpers breaking if you solder them directly to the pcbs, i would suggest getting a couple more 3 position right angle headers & using the female to female jumpers intact for the mux boards connections.
    Thanks, Emerse :) appreciate the feedback !!!
  • Nava v1.0l , Mux Boards installed and working ;-)

[resize=1024]http://dominium.telenet.be/Pics/IMG_4104.jpg[/resize]
  • serum114 wrote:Im unsure what the problem is, but i feel it could be a fault in manufacturing. That said vincent has told me e-licktronic have built 10+ 1.2 with no faults.
    i'm also confused, but doubt there is any manufacturing issue. no offense intended -- especially as i've got the same issue. i've built two sets of mux/sh boards, and only one pair works perfectly. each of the other two has an issue triggering/accenting one sound.

the circuitry on the mux/sh boards is dead simple and it's easy enough to test continuity between the holes/pads, which i've done. i think that doesn't really leave much question about manufacturing error.

I swapped out the maybe-problematic 4051 on one of my problem mux/sh boards but the problem was unchanged.

i suspect it is basically a problem of being clumsy at SMD, either overheating an ic, or creating a bad solder connection somewhere. revisiting soon...
  • pistrix wrote:
    serum114 wrote:Im unsure what the problem is, but i feel it could be a fault in manufacturing. That said vincent has told me e-licktronic have built 10+ 1.2 with no faults.
    i'm also confused, but doubt there is any manufacturing issue. no offense intended -- especially as i've got the same issue. i've built two sets of mux/sh boards, and only one pair works perfectly. each of the other two has an issue triggering/accenting one sound.

the circuitry on the mux/sh boards is dead simple and it's easy enough to test continuity between the holes/pads, which i've done. i think that doesn't really leave much question about manufacturing error.

I swapped out the maybe-problematic 4051 on one of my problem mux/sh boards but the problem was unchanged.

i suspect it is basically a problem of being clumsy at SMD, either overheating an ic, or creating a bad solder connection somewhere. revisiting soon...
    I've built four of them, running 1.025, and they all behaved the same. Unfortunately the sound of some of the voices with any of the boards wasn't right. Almost, but just not quite right. Before I ruined the boards trying to desolder stuff I figured I would wait it out for new firmware..

See here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1750 - I'm glad I wasn't the only one experiencing the bugs mentioned. Vincent has mentioned he may be asking the OP to become a firmware moderator and I really hope this happens as I think the weakest link for the Nava is the firmware. I also believe that the bad firmware has made a lot of us chase our tails, trying to fix hardware issues that aren't really there!

Fingers crossed! It's really the only thing that is stopping the Nava from becoming a great machine..
  • druu wrote:I think the weakest link for the Nava is the firmware. I also believe that the bad firmware has made a lot of us chase our tails, trying to fix hardware issues that aren't really there.
    Yup probably
  • ^ for sure. timing is fucked up.
  • pistrix wrote:
    serum114 wrote:Im unsure what the problem is, but i feel it could be a fault in manufacturing. That said vincent has told me e-licktronic have built 10+ 1.2 with no faults.

I suspect it is basically a problem of being clumsy at SMD, either overheating an ic, or creating a bad solder connection somewhere. revisiting soon...
    No offence taken what so ever pistrix. I'm very open minded about electronics faults and issues. That said I'm not sure continuity testing fully disproves a manufacturing/design issue. For example continuity doesn't discount cross talk. I've only had issues with the digital parts and mostly the crash and ride. Only 2 boards out of 10 that I have built have worked at IC111, in fact I damaged an IC on a working mux whilst probing so I replaced the damaged IC and it worked straight away - I see that as proof of good SMD practise - I've replaced over and over ICs from the non working mux and they only ever have a fault on the ride and crash. Maybe it is software related but I struggle to believe that as I have built, and many others, working mux with .25.

Vincent sent me out some more mux boards which I will build and test hopefully tomorrow. Fingers crossed they work, I have 3 Nava's gathering dust....