Mix Out Noisy/Distorted

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • My mix out is more noisy than the individual outs.
  • Check Mate wrote:My mix out is more noisy than the individual outs.
    Anyone here with an absolutely clean mix out???

In my case especially the SD produces a lot of the noticeable noise. Example: I just turn on the NAVA and plug in two cables to the mix out. All the volume pots of the instruments are at minimum. There is some noise, but at very low level. When I turn up the volume pot of the SD the noice get's significantly noticeable. More than when I turn up the other instruments. Even though the SD isn't playing it seems like some of it's white noise get's audible.

I will get the 10uf caps tomorrow. Let's see if they make any difference...
  • KlangGenerator wrote:In my case especially the SD produces a lot of the noticeable noise. Example: I just turn on the NAVA and plug in two cables to the mix out. All the volume pots of the instruments are at minimum. There is some noise, but at very low level. When I turn up the volume pot of the SD the noice get's significantly noticeable. More than when I turn up the other instruments. Even though the SD isn't playing it seems like some of it's white noise get's audible.
    This is how mine is too. I noticed this after I did the snare transistor collector/emitter swap but cannot be sure that's what caused it. Individual snare output does not have the same high noise floor so I've been using kick, snare and stereo outputs for recording. Was thinking about getting some more 2sc2603s so I could re-do the snare fix with sockets and check if I damaged one the first time. Just hate to open up the case for what seems like the 10th time though... :roll:
  • Data Jam wrote:i don't know what happened, i have no noise anymore, the last thing i did was put in sockets in the 22k spots, with resistors, still had noise, and took them out again, but i'm not sure if the noise at that point was gone, i just noticed few days ago.. also no LED interference. owell don't care, noise is gone
    So your master section is built exactly as described in the manual (including the little mod explained by Vincent) and you have absolutely no noise? Could you try again to retrace what changes you have done? I have tried almost everything and especially the SD still adds a lot of noise.
  • KlangGenerator wrote: and you have absolutely no noise?
    it's analog, you will have noise, always ! this statement compares to the noise and LED interference that i had before ... i didn't check my snare after the swap, but my snare was also the one with most noise, not sure which one it was, tone or snappy at 100% caused noise.. have to check my snare again with the latest changes... and also the single out

but the noise i have is normal analog noise to me, and no problem...

i'm eager to hear from the 10uf caps in the master section... the only problem with the mixout for me at this point is the low volume on the bassdrum... im using the single out for it...
  • I sure know about analog noise floor. I have a lot of analog stuff in my studio.

What I am referring to has nothing to do with normal analog noise floor. The individual outs have normal analog noise but the mix out is too noisy and has some interference as well. This really needs a fix.

Tomorrow I will replace the caps. Let's see if it helps...
    Last edited by KlangGenerator on Oct 30th, '17, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
  • do you have LED interference ? also have you removed the 2 22k resistors ?
  • Yes, I had to remove them because the noise was intolerable with the mute circuit activated. After removing them it was much better, but still there is way more noise audible than from the individual outs. LED interference is very low and doesn't bother me that much.
  • Ok, I've just added the 10uf caps. I am very happy with the result. The noise floor is way better now. Still not as perfect as on the individual outs, but for me it is absolutely tolerable like this.

Also as a nice side effect the overall output level of the instruments, especially of the BD, is a bit higher now on the mix out compared to the separate ones. Sounds really nice! :mrgreen: