Unable to get sounds from Nava

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • When you do the init eeprom, do they step button leds light up from left to right as a progress indicator?

If not, then it suggests its failing to write to the eeprom. This would point to bad eeprom, or bad connection between the cpu and eeprom chip. Check around IC115, ensure its the right way round etc and solder joints. Same for the cpu pins. Use the schematics to check continuity between the connections between cpu and eeprom.

When you power on normally do you seen the display with the 4 pattern settings, I.e. pattern number A1, scale, etc if yes would suggest the cpu is starting.

I assume you did the ENTER on power up and set the trimmer so you read 5v?
  • So if the step keys don't light up at all, could be something to do with the ICs that control the led matrix, along the bottom row of the sequencer section.

When you do the EEPROM program, after maybe 10 15 seconds, does it reboot to normal? If yes, then it is programming the eeprom but you problem is with the step button leds not working.
  • orbist wrote:So if the step keys don't light up at all, could be something to do with the ICs that control the led matrix, along the bottom row of the sequencer section.

When you do the EEPROM program, after maybe 10 15 seconds, does it reboot to normal? If yes, then it is programming the eeprom but you problem is with the step button leds not working.

Hey orbist!

Thanks for replying to my thread. I only noticed now that you replied to it. So, yes the display turns on fine. What's interesting is that when you mentioned to look at the IC's, I had this IC still in a sealed bag which was never installed:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mi ... ShRQ%3D%3D

I had swapped it out with IC115 and I noticed the LED's light up for the little square translucent clickable buttons. But the instructions from the NAVA site mentioned I had the correct IC in place before, which was supposed to be CAT24M01 and on the IC itself it says 24M01A. Maybe it went bad?

When I do the init eeprom by pressing the Start and Enter, it reboots and the screen looks totally normal, the Pattern Play button is blinking and I can turn the tempo knob and see the tempo change, I can also click each step button and see the pattern number changing on the screen, which means the keys work when you press them. The only issue is that they don't light up, and I'm also unable to hear any instruments. When I plug in my headphones into the very Right Mono Out, I can hear a very faint clicking that goes along with the tempo, but I can't get any sounds to come out except for this faint clicking of the tempo or whatever it is.

I sent a PM but I'm not sure if it reached you. Thanks again for the reply!