ATMEGA1284P not working (TP1, TM2, LCD problems)

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • Sorry for my ignorance.

I found the firmware here. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=864

I will be trying to unbrick or program my chip and will update with details

UPDATE: You can use 12v High voltage to change fuses on the m1248p, but you need to have a parallel port programmer: a serial programmer (ICSP) won't work for this Atmel chip.

I measured the voltage at the chip in the programmer and it measures ~3.8V... in the nava board the voltage measured ~4.8 volts. I believe since the nava power supply can source more current I didn't see much of a voltage drop, but a voltage drop is obvious when powering the chip from my USB powered ICSP programmer...

I conclude that this chip must be damaged. I have ordered new chips and will be programming it with the information provided in these posts:

avrdude fuses and bootloader:
    viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1141&p=7130&hilit=tools#p7130

newest firmware:
    viewtopic.php?f=25&t=864
  • Hey guys.

I bought new chips and I've learned a few things...

- you CANNOT use a usbtinyISP programmer to program the m1284p microcontrollers. USBTinyISP only supports up to 64k flash devices. the m1284p is 128k flash. Thought avrdude says it's supported it's NOT.
    so you have to use ArduinoISP (no big deal)

- the MOSI and MISO lines on the NAVA v1.02 boards are SWAPPED - if you try to use a standard ISP programmer header it will NOT work. This is a common mistake but I'm surprised they didn't test this out before shipping these out...

So now with the correct setup I read my original m1284p: device signature reads 0xffffff - it's dead. cool.

Here are the commands I used to program the new m1284p. Note you'll have to change COM on your PC (or to /dev... on linux or mac).

Code: Select all

avrdude -c avrisp -P COM5 -b 19200 -p m1284p -U efuse:w:0xFD:m -v 

avrdude -c avrisp -P COM5 -b 19200 -p m1284p -U hfuse:w:0xDC:m -v 

avrdude -c avrisp -P COM5 -b 19200 -p m1284p -U lfuse:w:0xD6:m -v 

avrdude -c avrisp -P COM5 -b 19200 -p m1284p -U flash:w:Nava_v1_028beta.hex:i -v 

Run the commands in that order

My sequencer works now.
    the problem was indeed a faulty microcontroller. Hopefully this helps someone else.