New Build w/ problems

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • Did you jumper R40:on the i/o board next to the psu?
  • I can't see no R40? You mean jumper the power switch?
  • Are you building a v1.2 or earlier? Its only relevant on the v1.2 its placed next to the J10 connector on the i/o board
  • Earlier. 1.01a
  • Check your 5v and ground on j10. I presume all the other voltages are correct to the instructions and orientation of the components is correct?
  • J2 plastic connector on backwards. So +5 has been going to ground.
  • My problems are as follows, any tips or things to look for please say....it has come to my attention now Ive got to here I should have checked all the old trasistors before I placed them. Didnt know that till today.

'Num' button doesn't light when pushed (but I don't know if it should)

Every so often the sequencer doubles speed at random and the stop doesn't work when this happens. But this might be the wires wiggling.

Nothing out of the snare.

Mid tom seems quieter than the others.

Clap makes a sort of noise but is weak and not the right noise.

Hat is quiet. Can hear clicking after a hit but then settles after a while to silence. Starts again after a hit. Decays for open/close do nothing.

No Crash.
  • What firmware are you running? If you are building without mux update the latest fw you can use is v.23. Mid tom should get better. You should be able to continuity test some transistors in circuit do this for the snare and hh and hopefully u find a fault. Also try swapping out the m5218l, ive had many faulty. Have you tried calibrating the clap? Good circuit breakdown http://www.network-909.de/circuit.htm hi res 909 schem http://www.dinsync.info/2010/02/roland- ... anual.html
  • No accent upgrade for now, till everything is running as it should.
    Firmware 1.020 I'll upgrade that then.
    What am I checking for with continuity on the transistors? I'm guessing, check there is no continuity?
    I'll have to order some m5218l, is there a way to check these? I have socketed these for this reason.
    I messed with the trimmer in the clap section and it didn't get any louder, there is a lot of turns on these!

Cheers. I'm gonna give these sections an inspect/reflow then do as you suggest. I've reseated the Crash rom in the hope that fixes it.