v1.1/v1.2/mux rabbit hole

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • With the MUX is perfect. I normally have global volume at full and only the kick voice at full. With the same settings without the MUX I adjust the global volume to half.
  • I also have a problem with that. Digital instruments dont work on 1,02. Trigs are correct, but dead silent on output. I will check with oscilloscope path later. I'll let you know how debugging is going. What I already know is that random HH works, however the sound is distorted with the latest firmware. It looks so fast that the first impulse of the accent hangs the processor. Very unusual. The same tiles in version 1.01 normally start Crash, Ride does not work, and HH once works, once it does not work.
    It seems that something wrong with the timing of impulses can take place here. This causes hangs in one state of the processor. I tried various ICs 4051 and also opamps - no changes.
    Very strange indeed
  • Id be really interested to hear if you discover anything. I'm at a bit of a loss, i know the boards work and even the ones which dont sound correct i hear the accent. Currently I've almost completed my second 1.2 and waiting on more mux boards with the hope of getting some more working well at ic111. My completed 1.2 and 1.1 both with working mux experience different accent voltages when i scope the accent input at the beginning of the accent circuit for each instrument. Only the mid tom has the same values, and these are measured at the point the mux acc out arrives at the accent input stage. The 1.2 is much louder than the 1.1 and and is quite hot on the master out, this must be related to how strong the accent is, im yet to find a fault with my build but cant rule this out. What other than fw could cause me to have a greater accent value than my 1.1?
  • Unfortunately, I was unable to run 1.02 with mux (always there are problems with digital voices only). All components come from the bom from mouser on mux pcbs and also all ics on digital voices too. I start to think that problem is with firmware. Sometimes after the init an eprom analog voices do not work, sometimes work. Digital voices are dead always. It seems that there are some problems with too short or too long triggers vs accents. I thinking about sending mux brds with Nava to the Vincent to check that, 'cos I dont have a clue what I have to do next...
  • lukep_gdansk wrote:Unfortunately, I was unable to run 1.02 with mux (always there are problems with digital voices only). All components come from the bom from mouser on mux pcbs and also all ics on digital voices too. I start to think that problem is with firmware. Sometimes after the init an eprom analog voices do not work, sometimes work. Digital voices are dead always. It seems that there are some problems with too short or too long triggers vs accents. I thinking about sending mux brds with Nava to the Vincent to check that, 'cos I dont have a clue what I have to do next...

I think this a good idea, hopefully he'll find something. I've found the mux board either works or dosen't, dosent matter how many componants you swap out. Vincent has built 10+ without faults so without a faulty Nava on his bench this may not get ironed out.
  • hey guys,

have you got any updates on this topic?

i'm in the same boat, having intermittent issues with my hh, crash & ride due to this mux boards. Nava v1.02 kit running firmware v1.025.

what we need to clarify is what is Vincent doing differently to us. i wonder if he is using the exact same parts from the mouser cart?

if he is, that would suggest there is manufacturing issue with the actual mux pcbs..

it is the only way to explain why so many of us having issues with these mux boards!
  • Apparently he is using the same parts for the mux as the mouser bom. As far as the main board unsure what he is using. Im waiting still for replacement mux boards but i suspect it's related to the board its self as i have working mux on a 1.1 and 2x1.2 and the boards that dont work it dosent matter what i do the will not work. Im also still yet to work out why my 1.2's are so much louder than my 1.1.
  • druu wrote:I’ve noticed the same issue, I’ve built multiple MUX pcbs and always an issue with crash or ride.
    I sold 2 mux boards kits, one does not work and the other has problems similar to yours. Crash and ride issue intermittent (because cut by other instruments), for cons I've mid tom quiet than other toms.
    Tested on nava V1.01 and V1.02, same results ...
  • There is no faults with the boards. I sent a few off to a guy to build that I'd been having problems with and they came back all working. Im going to do an update here soon, I'm waiting on more navas to build and to try successfully build some mux myself. The guy i sent them to has given me some tips on how to build them successfully and they are very different to what you see in the tutorials on this forum. Its essentially using a small pointed tip, tip refreasher and soldering one leg at a time. I was damaging an ic using the flux and slide technique and was showing up a problem only with the digital parts.