Futur e-licktronic Drum Machine ???

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • d-wreck wrote:I spent a lot of money putting together a Nava and ultimately failed. I asked here but never got any support from E-Licktronic.

I thought I was just impatient and stupid until I managed to put a Gilbert together in ~15 hours on the first try. E-Licktronic’s PCB quality was to blame. I was not willing to sink another thousand dollars and hundred hours into building a second Nava which might also have a faulty board.

When the v1.02 Nava appeared with allegedly higher quality PCBs, I hired a professional builder. He, too, ended up with a PCB so bad that he opted to start over with a fresh kit. No word yet on whether the new PCB is also worthless.

I appreciate that others have PCBs that survived, but I am never buying another E-Licktronic kit again. In fact, I'd like my money back.

Update: E-Licktronic claims that my kit—which could not withstand the work required to assemble it—is not eligible for a refund under their Terms and Conditions. Legally E-Licktronic may be in the clear, but this is morally and ethically abysmal.

Just to make it perfectly clear: because these are DIY kits, E-Licktronic can sell you faulty PCBs and claim it's your fault.
    OFF TOPIC:" PCBs are manufacturer controlled and works like expected.
    If you still not find a way to fix your Nava you can send to e-licktronic mail address back and we will take a pleasure to fix it ;)
    Best regards,
    e-licktronic
  • I really appreciate your asking for our favorite drum machines.

While I think a Frankenstein of the best of Roland, Korg and what-have-you would be a great idea, why not go into the direction of the Tempest and design a truely unique analog Groover (tm)?

With your expertise in circuit modeling, copying, tweaking and designing, with all the knowledge that is out there and all of this culture and the forum as a background -- I think you should aim for the stars.

Try it. You won't please everyone. But you can contribute to make music more original again by breaking the vicious (and super-awesome!) cycle of cloning what has been there before.

If you insist on cloning, I'd like a Rhythmicon please ;-)

PS: to clarify: I am really happy that you made Yocto and Nava. I am a heavy user of Yocto and had my Nava built for me just recently -- I just couldn't find the 40 hours it took me to build the Yocto again. I love those machines. But I think it's time for something new now.
  • While I would love a clone of CR78 or Minipos I would be even happier if the firmwares of Yocto and Nava where corrected first, especially Nava. The software is not really in the same league yet as the fantastic hardware :-)