Nava Issues [SOLVED]

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • Hi druu,

besides checking traces between the display and Atmega, did you also check for continuity between each of the solder points? Could it be that you have a short somewhere?

Different LEDs lit each time when powering up the Nava is nothing to worry about. I experienced this on a lot of units I've build.

Cheers, good luck and despite all your efforts: don't forget to enjoy christmas! ;)

KG
  • KlangGenerator wrote:Hi druu,

besides checking traces between the display and Atmega, did you also check for continuity between each of the solder points? Could it be that you have a short somewhere?

Different LEDs lit each time when powering up the Nava is nothing to worry about. I experienced this on a lot of units I've build.

Cheers, good luck and despite all your efforts: don't forget to enjoy christmas! ;)

KG
    Thanks for the response Klang. Yes, I've tested continuity across the whole sequencer/digital section and all are OK. It really seems there must be a short somewhere at this point. I'm going to merge the top and bottom layer PDF's into the BRD file to make tracing easier with the eye tool. I think I've pinned it down to being a short on the Atmega pins.

Thanks for the kind words, enjoy your festivities as well. :)
  • So I found the issue finally, two actually. First was the crystal - I bought this from Tayda and thought they would be generally quite robust. I removed the one installed on the board and put it onto my breadboard and it was consistently failing to read the chip. I put the other crystal back in and swapped them a few times to see how consistent it would be - it wouldn't read the chip at all with the Tayda crystal.

Secondly, the socket for the Atmega wasn't getting reliable continuity from the Atmega to the crystal! I was testing consistently continuity from the socket pins to the crystal but never thought to check from the pins of the chip itself while installed. I jiggled it a few times and found an 'angle' for the chip to sit at where I was then able to read the chip and get a display!

Funny, this also resolved the issue I was having with trying to get 5V across TP1. So anyone out there still having issues - check your Atmega socket and crystal!
  • Congrats! Now you can finally enjoy christmas! :D