Snare Drum decay too long (v1.02) [SOLVED]

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • azander wrote:It would be great if Vincent can comment on any changes.
    Totally agree.
  • Is this perhaps an issue with the introduction of the MUX pcbs?
  • druu wrote:Is this perhaps an issue with the introduction of the MUX pcbs?
    It could be. This is another issue but still relevant: yesterday I finished my build and everything was ok, except the handclap that is totally messed and the ride level that was veeeery low. Then I umplugged the mux/sh boards and the ride was proud and loud. Strange isn't It?
  • donzo93 wrote:
    druu wrote:Is this perhaps an issue with the introduction of the MUX pcbs?
    It could be. This is another issue but still relevant: yesterday I finished my build and everything was ok, except the handclap that is totally messed and the ride level that was veeeery low. Then I umplugged the mux/sh boards and the ride was proud and loud. Strange isn't It?
    I’ve noticed this too but when unplugged, the sound is far too loud and clips te output. I’m still troubleshooting one of my MUX boards which was affecting decay times of voices. I’ll be replacing the ICs to see if it fixes it.
  • druu wrote: I’ve noticed this too but when unplugged, the sound is far too loud and clips te output. I’m still troubleshooting one of my MUX boards which was affecting decay times of voices. I’ll be replacing the ICs to see if it fixes it.
    True, without mux/sh boards it clips the output. But I don't think it is related to a faulty chip on mux/sh board because everything else works perfectly fine on my build, accent included and, as far as I know, mux/sh boars are involved only when the accent is active on a certain note. Aside from that, where I can find a Mux/sh board schematic? One last thing: the silence from e-licktronic staff is becoming very very annoying.
  • I did ask Vincent for a schematic so that it would make it easier for me trace but he responded as follows:
    MUX-SH board is a very simple 4051 multiplexer with Sample and Hold TL074 buffer.
    Maybe hesitant to release a schem although I don’t see why not. And yes, the silence is very annoying..

I’ve replaced every component on my suspect mux board and the issue is still there. Using the good mux board fixes the voices. So now I’m in need of a new mux pcb sigh, it doesn’t end but thankfully this is the last issue I have with my Nava.
  • dang you guys it's a diy project and the MUX boards were provided for free like 60 days ago tops. i think you might be a bit more patient before you impugn the character of vincent.

also, this is a good opportunity to challenge yourself a bit more. there are 13 parts total on each board, 4 different kinda of part. look up a few datasheets and start tracing continuity between the parts with a multimeter and it really shouldn't take you long to make your own schematic.

i am no super-expert, i am in the same boat.

i have a set of mux_sh boards working great, but on my other set the BD_ACCENT and SD_ACCENT work at first but sound fades out after 10 seconds or so. i'm guessing i damaged a capacitor or fried a TL074 and am trying to trace thru it in a moment..
    donzo93 wrote:But I don't think it is related to a faulty chip on mux/sh board because everything else works perfectly fine on my build, accent included and, as far as I know, mux/sh boars are involved only when the accent is active on a certain note
    i don't think this is correct. IIRC an ACCENT signal is paired with a TRIG signal for any instrument to sound. The voltage of the ACCENT dictates how loud the sound is. So for example you'd have like a 5V ACCENT signal for a standard note and a 9V ACCENT signal for an "accented" note. If the soldering on mux/sh boards is bad or weak, it doesn't mean it only affects the "accented" notes -- it can affect any sounding of the instrument. For example, I have no BD or SD at all with my to-be-fixed mux/sh board, but everything 100% with my other mux/sh boards.
  • donzo93 wrote:Then I umplugged the mux/sh boards and the ride was proud and loud. Strange isn't It?
    Not really because the Hihats, Crash & Ride don't go through the MUX_SH boards. Don't forget to look at the schematics. The Mux_SH boards are put in place of the 4051's that were in IC111 and IC114. Hihats, Crash & Ride go through IC110, a TL074 (as used on the mux boards as well). But IC110 is fed by pins 1, 12 & 15 of IC111. So problems with IC111 can break the circuit to IC110.
  • pistrix wrote:
    donzo93 wrote:Then I umplugged the mux/sh boards and the ride was proud and loud. Strange isn't It?
    Not really because the Hihats, Crash & Ride don't go through the MUX_SH boards. Don't forget to look at the schematics. The Mux_SH boards are put in place of the 4051's that were in IC111 and IC114. Hihats, Crash & Ride go through IC110, a TL074 (as used on the mux boards as well). But IC110 is fed by pins 1, 12 & 15 of IC111. So problems with IC111 can break the circuit to IC110.
    I think you're mistaken as my hats, crash and ride are affected with my faulty MUX board (IC111). If I move the good MUX board from IC114 to IC111, I have good sounding hats, crash and ride again.