15/16v AC 1Amp Wall Wart supply/Power Adapter

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • Thanks man. All good.

The reason I ask is because I can't find any in Australia...
  • KlangGenerator wrote:Sorry, only for Germany/ Europe:

http://m.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_nkw=Stecke ... .TRC0&sqp=
    They don't post to Australia :(

Need more options...
  • pe4825r-m - I used this one! Excellent working!
  • Found 15V AC 5A @ http://www.tortech.com.au/ for anyone in Australia.

I believe the device will only draw 1A even though the transformer is rated at 5A :?:

Will the Nava only draw 1000mA?

EDIT:

Voltage Rating

If a device says it needs a particular voltage, then you have to assume it needs that voltage. Both lower and higher could be bad.

At best, with lower voltage the device will not operate correctly in a obvious way. However, some devices might appear to operate correctly, then fail in unexpected ways under just the right circumstances. When you violate required specs, you don't know what might happen. Some devices can even be damaged by too low a voltage for extended periods of time. If the device has a motor, for example, then the motor might not be able to develop enough torque to turn, so it just sits there getting hot. Some devices might draw more current to compensate for the lower voltage, but the higher than intended current can damage something. Most of the time, lower voltage will just make a device not work, but damage can't be ruled out unless you know something about the device.

Higher than specified voltage is definitely bad. Electrical components all have voltages above which they fail. Components rated for higher voltage generally cost more or have less desirable characteristics, so picking the right voltage tolerance for the components in the device probably got significant design attention. Applying too much voltage violates the design assumptions. Some level of too much voltage will damage something, but you don't know where that level is. Take what a device says on its nameplate seriously and don't give it more voltage than that.

Current Rating

Current is a bit different. A constant-voltage supply doesn't determine the current: the load, which in this case is the device, does. If Johnny wants to eat two apples, he's only going to eat two whether you put 2, 3, 5, or 20 apples on the table. A device that wants 2 A of current works the same way. It will draw 2 A whether the power supply can only provide the 2 A, or whether it could have supplied 3, 5, or 20 A. The current rating of a supply is what it can deliver, not what it will always force thru the load somehow. In that sense, unlike with voltage, the current rating of a power supply must be at least what the device wants but there is no harm in it being higher. A 9 volt 5 amp supply is a superset of a 9 volt 2 amp supply, for example.

Replacing Existing Supply

If you are replacing a previous power supply and don't know the device's requirements, then consider that power supply's rating to be the device's requirements. For example, if a unlabeled device was powered from a 9 V and 1 A supply, you can replace it with a 9 V and 1 or more amp supply.

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/qu ... nt-ratings
  • Have you had any luck finding an Australian one?

That was my understanding of how current worked, but when I plugged in a 2.5mA power supply it blew a diode...
  • I mesured the Nava with Extra9 mods to eat 600-700 mA, while the Yocto with Cocteau mods about 300-400 mA.