Noise in Bassdrum decay

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • Could it be this ?
  • gihaume wrote:Could it be this ?
    Thanks, Gihaume. I'm currently unable to check my power supply (it is installed somewhere deep behind a rack). But I recall reading this thread, when I was building the Nava. So I'm pretty sure I took a power supply with >= 1A. But I indeed have a little bit of distortion on the mix out (only visible on the sine wave, almost impossible to hear). And I have installed the Extra9 Kit. However, the noise I recorded is on the individual BD out.

So you don't have this noise in the decay phase of your unit? When recording the linked .wav file, the BD-decay was set pretty high (pot around 3 o'clock).
  • Finally I recall I had this. I probed the + and - 15v and found they had the small oscillation we hear on the bass drum. I could also hear it on the steiner parker filter.
  • gihaume wrote:Finally I recall I had this. I probed the + and - 15v and found they had the small oscillation we hear on the bass drum. I could also hear it on the steiner parker filter.
    Thanks Gihaume. I guess I'll have to play with another power supply. Maybe simply use a toroidal transformer instead of a wall plug.
  • I just tried out a toroidal transformer, 15VAC 2.667A. On load (Nava on and playing a pattern) I measure 18VAC @ 970mA.

But still the same hissing on the BD decay. Gonna have to find something else.
  • I finally found the issue. This post helped me.

In the Bassdrum section, cable 1 and 2 (noise decay in/out) leading from the Nava to the Extra 9 board, must not be bundled with the other cables. There's indeed a crosstalk from noise to audio.

Simply separating these two cables and keeping them 2cm apart from the rest of the cables solves the problem!