Velocity + Total accent don't work on 2nd hand Nava

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • Tiny update:

In the 1.028 version I can hear the velocity of the Closed Hi Hat (so loud / soft difference) + I can also hear the accent when programmed.

All other parts (BD/SN/LT/MT/HT etc.) are non responsive for either velocity (loud/soft option) nor the accent.
  • Hi,

i highly doubt that this is a software issue, as the accent/velocity is working fine on my and other navas. To be sure you could redo the init eeprom and 5v adjustment procedure. Please stay on v1.028, previous versions have flaws in the mux board handling.

It all sounds more like a hardware problem with the dac/ mux boards. If you have a multimeter (or better a scope) i can guide you through some tests.
    Btw, is the 2 step velocity working on RM and HC? If yes, the first board is most likely broken. You should also test your nava in expander mode: hook up any midi keyboard/ mpc/ daw and try to modulate the velocity of all instruments.

Did the previous owner tell you about the issue before you bought it?
  • I've recently finished a Nava and I've the same problem, no velocity / global accent on any of the instruments. I've tried with 3 different mux/sh boards and it's the same with all of them, also tried in expander mode.. Everything else works perfect.. any idea?
  • I had a bad DAC (MCP4822/ IC115) recently that was responsible for some awful LED noise on the master output and a non working accent. I also tried several accent boards before without success. Changing IC115 finally fixed the problem.
  • yeah, was the same, swapped it from a working one and everything was fine.. wonder what killed it since it seems to be more frequent.. I swapped the mux boards to my working nava where all 3 of them worked.. always good to have a working nava at your hand when building another one ^^ thanks for your help and sharing your info!
  • @space-echo

Did you ever fix this problem? My Nava has the exact same issue, down to the hi-hat. Did swapping the DAC solve it for you?
  • @klanggenerator

Did you mean the DAC at IC118, or the eprom at IC115?