Newbie Build

Discuss Nava construction and related issues
  • Hi! I built it as a Newbie and I barely made it to the finish line. The soldering itself is doable once you get a knack for it, but unsoldering (once you have to) might be difficult with unleaded solder or without an unsoldering station (I think the infamous ZD 915 is a good choice). If you work very carefully you might avoid mistakes, still ICs might come faulty and the building manual is comprehensive, but not free of errors (e.g. when building the clap, you gotta float leg 3 of the BA6110 IC, but there's not hint to it in the guide). So, if you're not an electronics expert or a creative and fast learner, you could get stuck when you don't know where to look for bugs. Better look for someone who could help you if you run into problems beyond your skills before you start. You should also consider getting the equipment you need to finish a build if you start completely unprepared (good soldering iron, maybe unsoldering station, oscilloscope or something similar, right crimp tool, tweezers for SMD components, solder, flux, third hand, maybe a big circuit board holder ...) might cost you a considerable amount of extra $$. So, you could be able to do it, but don't expect an easy journey. You might learn a lot though. It could be worth it. You also might fail. I had to send mine to @Klangenerator in the end to fix a dead part.
  • Thanks for your response! Much appreciated!