Is still someting going on here? Any dev-activity?

Discuss use it and firmware update
  • Hi antto - thanks for your feedback, which also keeps this thread alive.
    Your suggestions is interesting, never thought about it... in fact, I might be a lazy guy and thus I rather work with what each specific piece of gear allows me to do (working somehow with its "restrictions" - whenever possibile and as long as it suits me)... I'd be happy to read from other ppl in this thread, what they think the Yocto OS should look like...
    For the time being, I would really base myself on QS-606 manual - that pretty nails it from my point of view.
    Of course, pattern rotation and maybe polyrhythmicity would be great as well.

With regards to the "individual accent", I remember having read the same thing: it needs some hardware modification to achieve this. If it'd be a not-so-invasive modification, which could be placed inside the Yocto 1.0 enclosure, then I could think of having it installed by my personal tech guy... ;)

So - ppl: let's drop ideas into this thread!!!

BR,
    Flavio.
  • Hi pistrix! Thanks for working on this. We have all my hopes with you. Good Luck.
  • so i had some little time to modify my yocto so that it's safer to have it opened while powered up (removed the 230VAC from it)
    since i don't like the slowness of MIDI SYSEX for bootloaders, i was planning to use an AVR programmer attached to the programmer port, with its cable coming out of the case thru some hole or gap

but after i was looking at the schematic for some other things i noticed something that looks like a nasty little flaw
    the first 74xx165 shift register (IC2) has its data pin directly connected to the atmega SPI_MISO (and thus also to the programmer port)
    this data pin is not tri-stated, so as long as the chip is powered - it will drive that pin, and thus if i connect a programmer - something will heat up and probably fry

this really sux
    i could make an adapter PCB which plugs into the atmega socket and has a (maybe different) cpu wired differently, and with on-board SPI FRAM memory and stuff.. but this makes things complicated
    the requirement for a cpu modification is like a wall, many users can't or don't want to jump over it
    and while the situations is similar with the x0xb0x, the x0xb0x at least had the hardware potential for really great features (since it has a decent amount of LEDs and buttons)
    the same isn't true for the yocto

blah.. no sure what to do now.. :cry:
  • antto wrote:so i had some little time to modify my yocto so that it's safer to have it opened while powered up (removed the 230VAC from it)
    since i don't like the slowness of MIDI SYSEX for bootloaders, i was planning to use an AVR programmer attached to the programmer port, with its cable coming out of the case thru some hole or gap

but after i was looking at the schematic for some other things i noticed something that looks like a nasty little flaw
    the first 74xx165 shift register (IC2) has its data pin directly connected to the atmega SPI_MISO (and thus also to the programmer port)
    this data pin is not tri-stated, so as long as the chip is powered - it will drive that pin, and thus if i connect a programmer - something will heat up and probably fry

this really sux
    i could make an adapter PCB which plugs into the atmega socket and has a (maybe different) cpu wired differently, and with on-board SPI FRAM memory and stuff.. but this makes things complicated
    the requirement for a cpu modification is like a wall, many users can't or don't want to jump over it
    and while the situations is similar with the x0xb0x, the x0xb0x at least had the hardware potential for really great features (since it has a decent amount of LEDs and buttons)
    the same isn't true for the yocto

blah.. no sure what to do now.. :cry:
    In practice, this issue with the SPI MISO plugged directly into IC2's Q pin isn't a problem. I have used an AVR programmer to program the Yocto as described here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=436 quite regularly without incident.