Unoffical Firmware Available

Discuss use it and firmware update
  • rv0 wrote:@helectromagneticus
    is there any way to automate the builds like on jvq' gitlab?

I've been thinking (not coded it yet) about a "fix" for the "losing slaved sync when pressing stop in pattern edit mode" bug, but when I want to make a pull request I need to include a compiled binary.. the automated thing on gitlab just seemed cool ;)
    Yes, you can absolutely do this. In fact, I used jvq's build system to produce the .bin and .syx files for the releases on the github page. His docker script is indeed really cool!

The directory structure of jvq's system isn't identical to what I have on Github, but you can simply copy your source code and libraries over to jvq's /yocto-build/Yocto and yocto-build/Library folders and build as normal. I've been meaning to set things up so that the folder structures are the same to make this compatibility more obvious.

Looking forward to seeing your pull request!
  • Where do I click to donate and buy you some beerz
  • sebiiksbcs wrote:Where do I click to donate and buy you some beerz
    haha you are too kind!
  • Hello everyone!

I finished building my Yocto today and I'm happy to learn the software is still under some development.

I read that roll produces lower volume. I haven't even tried roll yet but anyway, I've learned from my own experience that shorter triggering gate times can produce lower volumes in some setups (in my case actually a virtual "analog" drum synth on Clavia Nord Modular) – have you looked into that?

Is roll lower in volume on official firmware also?
  • BastienL wrote:Just tried the firmware and that's pretty cool that the roll function works in Midi Slave now! I noticed the same issue as mentionned before, BD, SD, LT, MT, HT, RS (but not CL) and CB are a bit lower when rolled in Midi Slave mode, however there's no issue when using roll with the internal clock. And thanks to have corrected the roll timing, works nice now.
    And multi-button push editing works good too, i was able to enter 9 step at once :)
    Didn't tried the expander part yet, will test soon and let you know!

Thanks for doing all this!
    I first have also to THANK for this massive improvement - and at last: somebody is taking over the bug fixing process Vincent left open...

Anyway. I can confirm above and I want to add something I noticed: with roll set to 16th notes, you can hear that every odd note is at a higher (normal) volume. Maybe this helps pointing you oscilloscope guys into the right direction?! :-)

And finally: would it be possible to have all roll resolutions, also below 8th notes? I mean just all note lengths like on the Quicksilver 606 mod, if possible. I got no use for 64th note rolls, but would love 4th notes...

Thanks,
    F.
  • Oortone wrote:I read that roll produces lower volume. I haven't even tried roll yet but anyway, I've learned from my own experience that shorter triggering gate times can produce lower volumes in some setups (in my case actually a virtual "analog" drum synth on Clavia Nord Modular) – have you looked into that?

Is roll lower in volume on official firmware also?
    I haven't spent any time fixing this regression. I have be busy with an unrelated project and will continue to be busy with it until the end of the year. After that, I will take another look at the yocto firmware. You're probably right about the gate trigger times.

Roll volume is not lower in the official firmware, no.
    FlavioB wrote:Anyway. I can confirm above and I want to add something I noticed: with roll set to 16th notes, you can hear that every odd note is at a higher (normal) volume. Maybe this helps pointing you oscilloscope guys into the right direction?! :-)

And finally: would it be possible to have all roll resolutions, also below 8th notes? I mean just all note lengths like on the Quicksilver 606 mod, if possible. I got no use for 64th note rolls, but would love 4th notes...

Thanks,
    F.
    This is pretty interesting information, thanks for the tip!

Regarding the additional roll resolutions: that's something that I've wanted to do anyway. I've added this issue to the GitHub project.
  • helectromagneticus wrote: Regarding the additional roll resolutions: that's something that I've wanted to do anyway. I've added this issue to the GitHub project.
    That's nice to read, thanks!
    I might be adding other requests, like this one: SysEx dump of all patterns, so that we can finally have some sort of "backup/restore" functionality. Is this feasible?

BR,
    F.
  • Pattern play has the chain function just like the real 808.

On Yocto pattern chain in pattern edit mode is not possible. I can't remember if the real 808 has that, I believe it does. The 606 has it. It's very nice.
  • helectromagneticus wrote:My guess is that jvq's work in the MIDI library is to blame for this improvement. I'm hesitant to call the MIDI Slave Roll Mode bug fixed, since the instrument volumes are not correct while rolling. This demands further study...

Hi, and thank you so much for having a go at the firmware.

Did you happen to test the MIDI Slave Roll Mode bug with your initial 1.0d revision? Does that work with correct volumes or is it broken like in revision 1.0e?

Keep up the good work!

R