Unoffical Firmware Available

Discuss use it and firmware update
  • gihaume wrote:In Expander mode the accent is per voice and not common/global.

About the global accent, it could be nice to be able to still trigger it as in fact it can already be assigned to a note.
    You're right about the per-voice accent, but for a very annoying reason. I will fix the manual accordingly.

The Yocto hardware, like the original 808, doesn't support per-voice accent on paper. Normally, the Yocto plays a step by triggering every drum voice that's programmed for that step at precisely the same time. In expander mode, each drum voice cannot be played at exactly the same moment. MIDI data is serial, so the notes / messages do not and cannot arrive all at the same time. Even if your MIDI sequencer is telling the Yocto to play the bass drum and hand clap together on the first step, the Yocto will not play those voices at exactly the same time. The bass drum will play first, and then the hand clap will play (or vice verse). The minimum time between notes arriving at the Yocto over the MIDI cable (~1ms) is similar to the duration of the trigger pulse in the Yocto (~1ms). This means that you can accent the bass drum hit and not the clap hit for example because the two hits will not sound at the same time.

This is also why the global accent does not work in expander mode. The accent is "over" by the time the next note arrives at the Yocto!
  • doh totally overlooked the pulse length of the trigger
    i stand corrected
    Get the latest unofficial Yocto V1 firmware here.
    Be sure to check the revised manual.
    Leave your comments in this thread.
  • It feels a bit moot at this point, but I just finished testing the TapWrite code finally. It looks great to me, so I've put together a release on github.

Most people excited about this feature got a version of code that supports it within this thread, but you can grab the latest version from the above link if that's appealing to you.
  • helectromagneticus wrote:It feels a bit moot at this point, but I just finished testing the TapWrite code finally. It looks great to me, so I've put together a release on github.

Most people excited about this feature got a version of code that supports it within this thread, but you can grab the latest version from the above link if that's appealing to you.
    Hell yeah ! I just made an account to say a massive thank you to everyone involved in writting the update. I've been looking for this TapWrite fonction since a I bought my Yocto a few years back.

I guess it will take a little bit of practice to get it right in a live situation and it seems there is still some minor bugs (it sometimes double trigger the sound when pressing shift) but i'm SUPER happy to have this finaly !

Super mega thanks.
  • Stazma wrote:
    helectromagneticus wrote:It feels a bit moot at this point, but I just finished testing the TapWrite code finally. It looks great to me, so I've put together a release on github.

Hell yeah ! I just made an account to say a massive thank you to everyone involved in writting the update. I've been looking for this TapWrite fonction since a I bought my Yocto a few years back.

I guess it will take a little bit of practice to get it right in a live situation and it seems there is still some minor bugs (it sometimes double trigger the sound when pressing shift) but i'm SUPER happy to have this finaly !

Super mega thanks.
    Thanks!

We agree that TapWrite is not perfect, but I think the way it is now represents a good compromise (double trigger is better than no trigger!). Some of the problem with it is due to the feel of the shift button. It might be possible to eliminate double triggers, but I'm not good enough at C to comment more.
  • Helo everyone,

a big thank you to you, heletrocmagneticus for bringing us updates to the Yocto operating system.

After a hiatus of at least 2 years, today I checked the forum and found this. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

One thing I might have missed, but can't find: is it still not possible to trigger other devices with the drumsounds of the Yocto? I'd love to do some fun stuff with different drummachines and a Novation Drumstation, Midi Out of notes would be great!

I know you have done a lot, and I suppose this is not done before breakfast, but I just wanted to chime in and say I'd still be very interested in this!

All the best
  • misa wrote: One thing I might have missed, but can't find: is it still not possible to trigger other devices with the drumsounds of the Yocto? I'd love to do some fun stuff with different drummachines and a Novation Drumstation, Midi Out of notes would be great!

I know you have done a lot, and I suppose this is not done before breakfast, but I just wanted to chime in and say I'd still be very interested in this!
    quoting my earlier posts:
    rv0 wrote:
    gihaume wrote: Now I would like to send the pattern notes to the MIDI output to record it in another sequencer... any thoughts about this ?
    quite easy to do, in fact, I already did that last year: made the 4 last "instruments" (=trigger & nc) output midi to trigger the first 4 samples of my Volca Sample.. Used this in a live set even, worked out great.

the existing midi note input setting from Expander mode could be re-used, and so could the midi channel
    however, there has to be a way to "disable" and "enable" midi note output, as I can imagine it is unwanted in some midi setups. any suggestions?

also, I don't bother with accent output, we need to agree upon a "normal" and "accented" midi velocity value. Just making this up: 85 and 110 would work great, again, any suggestions?
    rv0 wrote:
    helectromagneticus wrote: There's some good ideas being mentioned here! The MIDI note out thing could work, but how would the user know which channel the notes are sent to? The Yocto's interface limits what can be done somewhat.
    gihaume wrote: About the MIDI output channel, it could be the same as the one selected in Expander mode. If a Config mode is prefered, you could hold a button like Mute/Reset or other then press one of the 16 step keys.
    correct, the easy approach would be to re-use what is set in expander mode as channel, as it is saved in settings already

But:
    gihaume wrote: What about making the last unused NC mode an user config mode where each button + led is an option such as MIDI notes output enabled or disabled ?
    If you talking about the empty space between INIT and CLEAR, I've been thinking about using this for a Midi out settings page. Because what I did with the volca sample was sending out on 4 midi channels, and being able to send _any_ note on _any_ channel would be an awesome feature. The yocto could "midi learn" by listening to external midi data while holding a key. And the mute button could disable midi note output.
    TL;DR: It's not so much work to do it, as it has been done already. It's just a matter of finding the right controls to configure the settings
  • New firmware version up for test, which adds roll functionality on the Trigger outs
    https://rv0.be/tmp/yocto_firmware_1_2_a_TRIG_ROLL.syx

Code has been tested with master sync, din sync and midi sync. No known issues. Please help by testing the functionality in your setup.
    Pull request has been filed for review on the unofficial repo: https://github.com/HomoElectromagneticu ... 08/pull/22
  • rv0 wrote:New firmware version up for test, which adds roll functionality on the Trigger outs
    https://rv0.be/tmp/yocto_firmware_1_2_a_TRIG_ROLL.syx

Code has been tested with master sync, din sync and midi sync. No known issues. Please help by testing the functionality in your setup.
    Pull request has been filed for review on the unofficial repo: https://github.com/HomoElectromagneticu ... 08/pull/22
    Nice work! I just tested the code and it works great. I merged your pull request and created a new release for the merged build.

Thanks for doing some refactoring of the code as well. There's a lot in there that's unnecessarily confusing. I wish I had a bit more time to work on this project!