A different use for Yocto

Discuss use it and firmware update
  • Dear Joel,

The first version of firmware don't allow you to sequence external drum but it could be easily update on next version.
    If you want to use button, encoder and rotary switch as Midi controller you need to update code too.
    Could you explain exactly what you want to do with Yocto or you hardware configuration that we will work on new firmware update ?

Best regards,
    e-licktronic
    Best regards,
    e-licktronic
  • It would be nice to be able to use Yocto to sequence external MIDI gear, such as the TR-9090 (909 clone) [or any outboard MIDI gear, VST or app, like Funkbox iOS drum machine]
    What I envision is being able to sequence both the internal Yocto drums and external gear, all with separate instrument tracks, so the Yocto internal instruments output MIDI notes (for example) C2-B2 and separate instrument tracks output MIDI notes C3-B3. In this way, the Yocto drums and external 9090 drums are played from the same sequencer.
    The external instrument tracks (C3-B3) could be selected by selecting NC on the INST SELECTOR, then hold SHIFT and select instrument with INST SELECTOR(?). I don't know what would be the best way to implement it...

Also on the wish list:

-- Accent track outputs a selectable MIDI velocity (or--I'm dreaming here--selectable velocity per instrument track, per step)

-- pattern length per instrument track (for example, BD- 16 steps; SN- 9 steps; RS- 3 steps, etc.)

-- shuffle
  • Thanks for the reply.

I would like to use the Yocto 808 as a controller device. Similar to a Midi Keaboard.

Mabe you could have the signal that goes to each individual drum splitted, and have it converted into a midi signal and send into the pc.
    So that I could use some drum synthesizer vst or even samples in let's say ableton and have them played instead of the in-built drums.
    Ad if you take it even further the potis could probably be sending midi parameters, too

I just really love the 808 feeling, the sequenzer.. But i can't afford making music analog at the moment so I thought this could be a way of pleasuring my hardware/analog wants.

Sadly, I'm not really "into the topic" so this could be completely unduable. But as I saw your project and read that it was midi-usable this idea came up.

Joel
  • +1 for outputting MIDI data from the sequencer, would be very cool indeed.

I thought that it did this (didn't check before I bought).

I've got a Roland 707 for sale on ebay at the mo which kind of does this, but only in track/pattern play mode, so unfortunately you cannot use it as a x0x style sequencer to control other devices while you're editing.
  • Seq wrote:Hey people of the e-forum

I may have an interesting idea/problem for you.

I'm really interested in the 808 clone yocto.
    I'm specially curious about the implanation of midi in the yocto. I am really concerned If I would be able to implement it as some sort of controller device, via the midi in/out, to use a sample/sound -from let's say a drumsynthesizer vst in a program like ableton etc- on the beautiful sequenzer. Maybe we could even have the buttons and regulators midi-controling parameters in a drum synth.

Is there any way I will be able to do that? Has anyone of you build something like this before?

Regards,

Joel
    Hey Joel,

Sounds like you should take a look at the Analogue Solutions Europa Sequencer...
    SOS review here: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul10/a ... europa.htm

Tom Carpenter makes some cool stuff, sadly the Europa is discontinued. But a few places have stock left.
  • Thanks for your answer. This seems interesting, I have to read into this.. Maybe I'll be able to get my hands on one, if it fits my needs.

Rumors say, the new roland aira will not be 100% analog, too. Maybe this will be a solution for my hardware needs. But thanks for the Tip. If you have knowledge about the europe feel free to share it with me ;)

joel
  • I have not used one myself, but when I was researching various hardware sequencers recently this stood out as taking a slightly novel approach. Here are some links of it in action, the first is from Tom Carpenter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HLmoDg9MuI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWnK7LWOvkU

I do have a Leipzig S from Analogue Solutions and can confirm the quality of build and components is high.
  • Were you able to fix these problem?
  • Im sort of ...confused??

Does it mean that Yoctos MIDI OUT can NOT send midi notes?
    I just connected for first time MIDI OUT to record pattern on computer DAW
    and Im not getting any note on midi out...

Is that correct?

so what is MIDI OUT for then?
    only for midi sync out?

and how to backup patterns on computer?

also I was sure that we can use Yocto as hardware sequencer for external MIDI sound modules
    but in this case...

biggest question then is patterns backup!