Trigger 2 not working in MIDI slave mode

Discuss use it and firmware update
  • Please fix this bug, it’s important for my setup that Trig 2 works in Midi Slave Mode.
  • yeah noticed something weird with the triggers too before...
    Get the latest unofficial Yocto V1 firmware here.
    Be sure to check the revised manual.
    Leave your comments in this thread.
  • Check Mate wrote:Led-Man and me discovered a bug with the Triggers yesterday.
    They work fine with YOCTO as master but as soon as you clock the YOCTO as MIDI slave or via DIN-Sync...Trigger 2 is not working correctly.
    The timing is weird (like 2times as fast) and it just seems to generate random pulses even when you stop your midi master sequencer.
    I wonder why nobody didn't discover this bug yet!! This must clearly be a firmware issue!

Can anyone confirm?

On a sidenote...I wonder in general how long it will take until we get working FIrmwares (if ever at all, I highly doubt it) in the YOCTO as well as with the NAVA (which is even worse...no FLAM, wrong accents etc.).
    I am pretty sure I reported this on the firmware bug thread last year when I had finished my Yocto. It was appreciated and a fix was promised soon. Did not happen by now though.
  • I’m frustrated about the Software Development - Release Management, testing, Documentation.

Okay it’s DIY ... but reported bugs aren’t fixed and I miss a good bugtracker for that.
    Important functions are involved here.
    I can’t use my setup with that issues !!
    I have a Nava and yocto and paid for that enough money to e-licktronic.

The Nava rev1 is still buggy (accent etc.)
    The Yocto rev1 is buggy too, sync issue (clock on trigger2)
    There’ many votes on the missing Flam function too.

Please stop your further Hardware development and Sales if you can’t fix the known Software Issues !

Sorry for the hard words but the yocto is 3 years on the market and still with important bugs.
  • @Patrick
    The trigger out bug doesn't sound like something critical to the main use of the box, it's a bit harsh to say that you cannot use your setup because of these issues.

There is an Official Yocto Bugs List thread, and in the past few weeks 2 major bugs (expander mode timing and multi-button presses) were fixed (in separate firmwares, but they're going to be merged soon).
    You could at least be more constructive by testing these firmwares, providing feedback and help tidying up the bugs.
    You're right, it's a DIY project, and like most low-cost DIY projects (see x0xb0x) part of the development is community driven.
    Get the latest unofficial Yocto V1 firmware here.
    Be sure to check the revised manual.
    Leave your comments in this thread.
  • rv0 wrote:@Patrick
    The trigger out bug doesn't sound like something critical to the main use of the box, it's a bit harsh to say that you cannot use your setup because of these issues.

There is an Official Yocto Bugs List thread, and in the past few weeks 2 major bugs (expander mode timing and multi-button presses) were fixed (in separate firmwares, but they're going to be merged soon).
    You could at least be more constructive by testing these firmwares, providing feedback and help tidying up the bugs.
    You're right, it's a DIY project, and like most low-cost DIY projects (see x0xb0x) part of the development is community driven.
    I have done enough as one of the first Yocto and Nava User.
    And I played enough with hardware bugs and wrong BOMs, Parts etc.
    That’s a commercial product and not a community DIY Project like Midibox/ucapps.
    E-licktronic sold the Kits with enough profit to have this as a daily job.
    Thats my point of view on this projects here.
    He can handle this like a professional company and hire a developer or outsource this tasks.
  • I've looked into this a little bit. From what I can tell, Trigger 2 doesn't work in MIDI Master or MIDI Slave modes on my Yocto. As the MIDI Master, I can see what looks like this on the 'scope for Trigger 2:

"Zooming" in:

When the Yocto is the MIDI Slave, Trigger 2 looks like:

The timing between these pulses is related to the tempo in both modes. In either mode, adding trigger steps didn't do much of anything. Patrick, can you comment on if this is identical to the behavior you are seeing?
  • Yes, exactly that.
  • Here's a quick update - I started looking into this the other day and it seems like the trigger 2 output is the result of a poorly configured pin on the microprocessor. For example, you can change the "width" of the negative-going pulse by changing this part in Trig_out.ino:

Code: Select all

void Reset_Trig_Out()
    {
      digitalWrite(TRIG1_PIN, HIGH);
      digitalWrite(TRIG2_PIN, HIGH);
      digitalWrite(TRIG3_PIN, HIGH);
    }
    to this:

Code: Select all

void Reset_Trig_Out()
    {
      digitalWrite(TRIG1_PIN, HIGH);
      PORTB |= 0b1;
      PORTB |= 0b10;
    }
    Writing to the PORTB register directly is much faster than using Arduino's digitalWrite function, so the fact that this narrowed the pulse suggests that different processes are "fighting" each other for control of the pin. The trick is finding those other processes...

I need to do some more experiments of course, but I wanted to let you guys know that I am working on this.